My new mule is also my first mule

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
dogtags
Sergeant Major of the Gee

My new mule is also my first mule

Post by dogtags » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58 am

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017, Ken Spencer from MV Parts Store and I took at little trip to Door County, Wisconsin and we brought home this little gem.

It's a Willys M274A0. Still has the original 4-cyl Willys engine with 144 hours on the meter.

I took off the fuel tank before I decided I should take some "as found" photos. You can see it in the photo where it's on the trailer.

Previous owner moved the right side exhaust so he could add an alternator/starter.

The deck needs a bit of work. Here's the holes for the seat back.

Driver's side registration numbers as found. With a little sanding and patientce, I came up with this...

Looks like 235045. What do you think? Chuck W. is this a valid USMC registration number? If so, do you have any info on it?

John Emery is about 2 hours south of me. I hope to be hauling it down there soon for him to evaluate. When I do, I'm sure I will come back with a lighter wallet and a buch of parts to get it going.

~Robert

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
Re: My new mule is also my first mule

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Looks great!! you should have a lot of fun with it.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Looks like a M274.

Only 1 set of seat back holes. No foot basket top clamp, solid trunnion blocks for the steering gear, early 4cyl engine and engine guard. Looks to be the correct engine and gun deck covers but a piece of wood for the steering access [hard to find]. It appears that you have the hand crank installed in the foot basket hold onto it they are rare. You have lifting loops on the wheel hubs where the early M274s had hub caps. The steering column clamp should be a band with a single bolt not the muffler type clamp. Your tires and wheels appear to be in great condition. Looks like you have the correct oil bath air cleaner. Your cage should not have extensions attached to the bed because the hole assy in the engine guard should have a bushing bolted to it to allow the hand crank to align with the nut on the pulley and function properly. Maybe the electric starter/gen is preventing it from being raised? John may have loose seat posts but you will need to find a place that can and will weld magnesium. Or get someone to fab a bolt in assy. The bed looks to be straight and in good shape unable to determine how may extra holes if any. John has the back and front rails.

You have a solid looking machine and should have fun working on it.
Last edited by muleman7 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Looks like a nice, fairly complete series 1 M274. I don't have a lot of data on the very early mules, but on the ones I do have, the registration numbers almost all start with a "2B" prefix, followed by 4 digits. So, 2B5045 WOULD fit into my database as a Jan/Feb 1959 machine. Serial number would be harder to figure out, but I would guess something like "M-274-12XXX". The correct serial number and registration number will be stamped on the data plate, if your plate is still there, hard to tell from the photos. Good luck with your project.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Congratulations on scoring a nice looking Willys 4 cyl mule, they are certainly rare, and your looks pretty complete. I gotta laugh when I see your belt tensioner for the motor/generator. Looks like bubba was working on it.

Two questions, why is there extensions on the engine guard like on the two cyl A4 and A3 mules? Don't the early mules have a sloped foot basket, or was that only on the prototype mules?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Only the JBC's had the sloped foot basket.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:55 am

Here are some pics I have from a Popular Science article

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks for the photos and the article Charles, it is not hard to see how the M274 evolved out of this prototype. With only 9 horsepower and that tiller arm steering, I cannot imagine how hard steering this beast must have been with a load.

major519
G-Major
G-Major

Post by major519 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:40 am

PLEASE, whatever you do, don't monkey with it and keep it 4cyl! It will be far nicer to see another restored 4cyl out there.
1968 M274A5 USMC 325489
1966 M274A2 USMC 333007
1958 M274 US ARMY 2B3379
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715
1981 M101CDN Manac 3/4 trailer
1984 M1009 CUCV
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:56 am

Ahh, yer just biased for the 4 bangers Chris. :lol:

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:36 am

The hard part is the engine getting it to run and keep it running I will post pics of the one I picked up in Kentucky it is complete and does not appear to have been modified or tampered with and has a good straight deck and rails. I will keep it as a 4cyl but it is sitting for now until I have time to work on it.

MFR Serial # M274 10136
Reg # 2B3010
DOD 11-57
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

dogtags

Post by dogtags » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Thank for the comments guys. I'll try to answer some questions.

1. The data plates are missing so the registration number is the only thing I have to go off of.

2. The spacers are on the rear engine guard to provide clearance for the starter/generator. Because of this, the hole in the guard does not line up with the engine so there currently is no way to use the hand crank. Also the correct nut is missing from the pulley.

3. The tubes are holding air but the tires are checked pretty bad. I saw a '65 date on one of the tires... We'll see how long they last. The rims have some corrosion, but I don't think it's too bad.

4. No worries about an engine swap. At this time I plan on keeping it a 4-cyl. I hear some people bashing 4-cyls but I have no experience with them. Are they really that much worse than a 2-cyl?

5. The deck has a few extra holes and a few areas of corrision. Next door to Military Veterans Museum is Fox Valley Technical College's Welding School. I'm hoping one of the instructors will help out with a few repairs. I'll try and get some pictures of the areas of concern posted.

6. The Mule is missing the steering access cover. Anyone have a spare?? :D

~Robert

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm

The 4cyl is harder to get parts to keep it running. It has mechanical lifters. The spark plugs are hard to change along with the valve lash setting. New Ignition wires can cost $400. The starter cable is inside the bell housing and pulling the engine is required to repair. The cyls are built into the block and if rebuilding requires oversize pistons then you will have to hone cylinders. the engine requires 2 sets of mufflers, header pipes and flex tubes. Most 4cyl mufflers for sale are left hand.

The 2cyl is the workhorse and requires less maintenance with greater reliability and better parts availability and has hydraulic lifters.

The Good is: there are not that many M274s or M274-A1s running and or restored. When running it is a smother then the 2cyl with slightly more HP.

Contact me as I have rebuild kits or rebuilt fuel pumps and mufflers.

As for a steering access cover the M274 is unique and not interchangeable with the A1 or A2. That is going to be hard to find.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Let me add that the "235045" registration number does not fit into my database anywhere. I have no "23" prefix registration numbers listed for any of the models.
I hear some people bashing 4-cyls but I have no experience with them. Are they really that much worse than a 2-cyl?
In a word...yes.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogtags

Post by dogtags » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:36 pm

muleman7 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm
As for a steering access cover the M274 is unique and not interchangeable with the A1 or A2. That is going to be hard to find.
Do you have pictures of one so I know what I'm looking for?

~Robert

Return to “Mule M274”