rubber boot wire

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
rubber boot wire

Post by markrdje » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 am

I am thinking of removing and replacing the rubber boot wire with a radiator hose type clamp, are there any pros and cons to this idea?I also will use permatex gasket sealer too.
change user name to mark

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: rubber boot wire

Post by muleman7 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:39 am

Depending on the wire groove I use either 0.031 or 0.041 stainless aircraft safety wire. I clean both grooves using round abrasive cord 280 grit. This and a wire wheel on the steering knuckle makes sure the grooves are smooth and clean.

I use Mariners Never-Seez to lube the grooves then install the boot. I safety wire the boot with the twist at 3 o'clock and when snug I turn the boot so the twist is at 12 o'clock. This puts the twist in the best place to avoid damage to the boot during turning and verifies the tightness of the wire.

When installing the clamp make sure the smaller ID is facing out towards the tire this will ensure that the clamp tries to work on instead of off during turning.

Some owners use a silicon gasket sealant i.e. Permatex Ultra Black. I find a clean groove and the Never-Seez works for me and is easier to remove in the future. I also use it on many of the chassis bolts / gaskets and engine gaskets with the understanding I may have to remove the part in the future and the Never-Seez allows me to disassemble without destroying the gasket plus helps prevent galvanic corrosion.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “Mule M274”