leaking wheels

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
leaking wheels

Post by markrdje » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 pm

On my a5 mule I see the wheels leaking gear oil.I have already replaced the bearings, seals,etc, not long after I bought it(a year ago) so I don't understand why it is leaking so quick.Just drove it in a parade, so it leaks again.So I guess I have to R&R the seals again? Maybe I overfill the reservoir? I fill it level to the hole.
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: leaking wheels

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Front? Rear? Inside? Outside?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Lift the mule so the wheels are off the ground

Hold the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock and rock them in and out.

There should be no movement. If only very slight movement the seals should hold.

If noticeable or lots of movement the hub bearings are worn and this will overs stress the seals and they will leak. Replace the hub bearings.

The original leather cup seals are more likely to leak. The rubber seals will hold lube up to 0.010 out of round.

I would replace with rubber seals [National 473455] or John Emery had rubber seals made that are the same thickness as the original.

Leaking wheel seals will leak lube onto the hub and down the inside face of the tire.

Other wheel leaks:

1-lower steering knuckle pin. Tighten first or remove and check for burs on face of knuckle and pin or damage to the shims. File and clean then use mariner's choice never-seez.
2-boot: cracked or split, outer clamp or inner safety wire not holding.
3-Nut and lifting loop o'rings or [1/8 inch pipe plugs but very seldom].

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 am

the inside, all 4 wheels
change user name to mark

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:57 am

the movement is 1/16 to 1/8". I'd just replaced the bearings/seals, maybe driven the mule a couple of hours, so how could the bearings be bad??? I will do the other checks, I, for the life of me cannot see how these would survive military use without breaking down all the time.
change user name to mark

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:14 am

With proper lube the bearings should not fail with 2 hours of driving or 1 year of driving with standard tires 7.50 x 10. Check that you use a quality bearing. The wide tires 26 x 1200 x 12 play havoc with steering and bearings.

According to TM 9-2320-213-20 Oct 1965 page 96

Check that the steering knuckle pins were properly shimmed. You should have a preload of 3-1/2 pounds at the tie rod hole in the arm of the knuckle. Too tight and the knuckle will not move smoothly it will feel bumpy while turning. I set the preload without the CV joint and boot installed.

Improperly [loose] shimmed steering knuckle pins will also give you movement while holding the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Holding the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock will give you indication of wear in the steering components.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am

You might also want to put it up on jack stands, remove the wheels and tires, clean it up with brake cleaner, then put some clean newspaper on the ground under each hub and watch to see exactly where the oil is coming from. It could be leaking from the king pins, improperly sealed boots, etc., may NOT be the wheel seals.

97 heavyduty
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by 97 heavyduty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:30 pm

I had trouble with the wire ties that hold the boots. Took me a few try's with different kinds of wire to get it right. Chuck had a nice write up a couple years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=262807

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, tomorrow I'll do some investigating
change user name to mark

Return to “Mule M274”