Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

Post by muleman7 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Check the brass fittings. If loose use Loctite Thread sealant 545. If you have to take it apart check that the top and gasket are aligned with the pin on the body. if you want to use a sealant on the diaphragm and top gasket use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #3 apply and let tack then assemble. If you have the AC 4 screw flat top fuel pump you may have to remove the rubber intake connectors to push the carb back to remove the fuel pump screw. Do not over tighten the fuel pump screws.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks Charles
I snugged up the top screws for the AC pump. Looks like theres a small leak between the pump and the block too
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:11 am

Found I blew the fuse betwix my alternator and the battery. I changed the location of the fuse so now I can access it outside of the battery box. I also need to change my alternator from a 10DN (external regulator) to a 10Si (Internal regulator) low speed exciter.
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Been using the mule around the property. The output shaft seemed to have loosened up by itself. I can push the mule around in neutral easier than before... I still need to adjust the 4 nuts on the output bearing cover and get a better seal on the driveshaft yoke.

As a side note when I brought the mule home my wife called it "Ugly".....now that it running and she can drive it the new name is updated to "Pretty Ugly"....

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Took the mule out for a cruise around the block Runs like a cat with its tail on fire. When I got back I found its still leaking around the output shaft carrier bearing cover....Dr Witt, for our viewing audience, what are the proper steps for tightening the carrier cover with the drive shaft installed to ensure a leak free carrier?

Thanks in advance

nickd
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by nickd » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 am

Glad to hear the mule is serving you well. I worked on a transmission with out pulling the engine by closing the fuel valves and hanging the mule upright. Wood chocks between the floor and the edge of the bed helps to keep it steady. Once the mule is "hung" the transmission cover is facing up just like it would be if you placed it on a work bench. In order not to drag the engine guard on the garage floor I used double 2x6's stacked under the rear wheels. Was not necessary with the wide tire mule.
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 am

I bet with your mule standing up on it's tail it was much easier for you to work on it standing up.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:36 am

I have replaced the synchronizer assy by turning the mule on its side gas tank down with fuel and oil drained.

Below I will try to explain the areas for possible leaking of gear lube inside the bell housing and transmission area.

If you have question Post them or contact me via e-mail.

This pic shows 2 Gaskets item #3 for the Retainer Bearing item #8 and Retainer Gear item #2 also the 2 Seals item #4. The seals could leak if installed incorrectly or the shaft seal area was pitted. The gaskets could leak if the old gaskets were not removed properly and area cleaned. There are 2 different Retainer Gear and Bearing Housings and if mismatched could cause leaking. See the following Post to see the differences on page 2.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261325

The following pic shows the Shaft item #17 for the Countercluster Gear that could cause leakage but is so unlikely that it would be the last probability.

This next pic shows the back of the transmission where gear lube leaks could occur

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Looks like its leaking around the bearing cover for the output shaft (Item #3)

ImageCarrierbearingcover020718 by F J, on Flickr

Do you loosen the 4 nuts and turn the driveshaft and retighten?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

The steel shims item #5 set the preload on the output shaft bearings. I would pull the cover and inspect each shim to verify they do not have a folded corner or edge. Us 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper with solvent to clean shims. Then reassemble using Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. If you have the faces on the cover and bearing retainer smooth without burs and the shims are the same then you will not need to over tighten the 4 nuts to prevent leaking.

If you have too few shims then the bearings will be preloaded to the point that the cover will not pull snug against the shims and leakage will occur and bearing failure could occur.

The only correct way to set preload with the ring gear and DG housings in place is to remove the output shaft and install the bearing retainer, shims and cover then install 4 bolts and tighten. Then spin the shaft while holding the bearing retainer and cover and check for preload 3-5 pounds by wrapping a cord around the shaft with a spring scale attached.

This can not be done with the shaft in the transmission because the shaft will turn the ring gear and wheels.

When building a transmission this can be done with the shaft installed without the ring gear in place and the L/H in neutral so you are not turning any gears.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks again Dr W!

Return to “Mule M274”