Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

Post by abbylind » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm

ImageTranny chunk 090917 by F J, on Flickr[/img]

ImageTranny gears 090917 by F J, on Flickr[/img]
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Pulled the countercluster gear and reverse idler. For grins I grabbed the countercluster shaft on the front cover side with a pair of large vice grips gave it a healhly tug and out it came! Same for the reverse idler shaft. Installation of the rear thrust washer for the new countercluster gear will be dicey....
Also removed the 205 bearings from the front cover and one of the shafts.
After consulting with Charles W it seemed like a good thing to do. One was stiff and the others were marginal.
Im learning a lot about the mule tranny...good stuff

Image20170911_151926 by F J, on Flickr[/img]

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Worked a little more on the tranny. Pulled the 1st reverse shift shaft and lo and behold there isnt a headless straight pin between the two shift shafts! No wonder I could move the !st rev shifter when the tranny was locked in 3rd gear!
Cleaned and polished the shift shafts...waiting on parts and ready to reassemble

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Sounds like somebody has been into your transaxle before you (and apparently didn't have the TM!)

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Yup I beleive they open it up and decided it was too much work...
It only had the 1st rev shifter when I got it. I think they were driving it on what was left of the tranny!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 am

Been a while since Ive been online so heres the update.
Cleaned up the front tranny cover and replaced the 205 bearings.
Replaced the shifter seals. I didnt have a tool to remove the old seals so I used a screwdriver and pried them out. As per Charles W recommendation I used a socket to install the new seals. Prelubed the hole and the seal....in they went!
I glued the rear thrust washer for the countercluster gear to the back of the tranny case, otherwise there's no way you could hold it in place unless the tranny was vertical on a workbench.
I had to rethread the hole for the 2nd 3rd poppet and spring but it looks like the new bolt will thread in OK
Got most of my parts and Im ready to reassemble. Most of my gaskets are in good shape so I'll reuse them. A few were torn so I'll make new ones out of gasket material.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Started reassembly. Installing the poppet between the shift shafts was an experience. I finally cut down a wire nut and inserted it in the rear of the 1st reverse shifter shaft tube. This allowed me to put the poppet in the tube and turn it 90 degrees I then used a rod and pushed through the 1st rev poppet hole. Pushing slowly I was able to put the poppet in the hole between the shift rod shaft tubes! I installed the 1st rev shifter fork on the shaft and installed the safety wire on the shift fork bolt.
I put the 2nd 3rd shift fork on the shaft but left it loose. I then installed the helical gearshaft with the high speed gear and syncro. You have to hold your tongue correctly to get the helical gearshaft installed with the two shift forks inserted into the syncro and high speed speed gear. Whew! Got it!

Next is installing the poppets for the 1st rev and 2nd 3rd shift shafts and installing the safety wire for the 2nd 3rd shift fork bolts

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:42 am

Congratulations You have completed the hardest rebuild of the mule. Installing the Intermediate gear shaft, pinion gear shaft assy and cover will be easier.

Upon completion and filling with gear lube then a successful test drive you will advance to Master Mechanic.

Generally with all gears good replacing the synchro assy is all that is required. You had to replace the countercluster gear and reverse idler gear. Doing this with the engine installed is difficult to say the least.

I sent you 3 modified poppet plugs this will make the tranny shift like new.

Enjoy your running and shifting mule knowing that you rebuilt the tranny.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks Dr C! Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Hopefully when I button everything up the Mule will launch in the correct direction!
As a side note I found that if you double the safety wire over for the shift fork bolts, place the loop in a vise, connect the opposite end to the chuck of your favorite drill (turn the wire slowly) you can get a good twist on the wire prior to installation into the bolt heads.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Image20171017_160723 by F J, on Flickr[/img]

Buttoned up the tranny and started filling the gear oil.....oil started running out the drive gear....duuuh the drive shaft yoke forms the seal! Thanks Charles for reminding me...
I ran the engine and engaged the tranny Viola! Everything works! I then started looking at the outside bearing cover for the final drive... a crack! Ill install new seals in the NEW bearing cover I ordered.

Some thoughts for those who are contemplating a tranny rebuild or repair

1. Read the TMs thoroughly prior, during, and after your project. They are designed for GI mechanics and offer a wealth of step by step information and photos.
2. Utilize the board members on this board. There are virtually thousands of hours of knowledge within the members on this board. They have their doctorates in Muleology and are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences.
3. Take photos during your disassembly. They can really help you when it comes time to reassemble...plus everyone on the board wants to see your project...
4. If you decide to do the repair or rebuild on the tranny while it is still in your mule, make sure you jack and support it high enough that you can work under the mule semi comfortably. Lying under a mule trying to remove and install the gear clusters in a limited space is trying at best...
5. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome...There are several ways to remove a tranny cover, remove seals, remove and press bearings, install safety wire, remove and install poppets, ect.... Take advise from board members, read the TMs, watch YouTube videos, and use what tools you have. Make it work!
6. Take your time. Most of us aren't using our Mules for primary transport, so if you need to repair or rebuild the tranny take your time. If you get frustrated, walk away....you can always come back with a refreshed mind and body and try again.

I hope everyone will accept the challenge and don't be intimidated by a few gears and bolts!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag

This video really sealed the deal and made everything come together....
There will be a test afterwards.... :D

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Image20171019_153501 by F J, on Flickr[/img]

Added an ignition switch!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Repaired the engine guard....

Image20171024_134755 by F J, on Flickr[/img]

Image20171024_152908 by F J, on Flickr[/img]

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Be careful with that ignition switch mounted vertical like that, I have heard a couple of reports of water getting into the switch and shorting out the contacts and engaging the starter.

Return to “Mule M274”