Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

Post by abbylind » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Ive been working on my A2 Mule (PO converted it to an A5) Got the engine running...runs like a scalded dog! Steering seems ok for a 2 wheel steer. ( I'd like to put it back to 4 wheel steer.) I went to adjust the shift rods (I had to replace the 2nd 3rd shift rod) and at first I thought it stuck in 2nd gear...hmmmm, Now I think its stuck in 3rd gear! I had to use a dremel tool to remove the 2nd 3rd shift rod poppet bolt. The spring and ball came out ok...but now I have a hole I need to re-thread. What is the bolt size and thread type for the 2nd 3rd poppet?

If I engage the clutch the wheels move smoothly forward. No grinding or clunking. I can put it in neutral, Hi, or Low (with the high low shifter) with no problem but If I try to put it in 1st or reverse the engine will stall.(The shifter will move into 1st and reverse with the engine off) I cant get the shifter to move on the 2nd 3rd side. I cleaned the shift rod links where they attach to the bed and replaced the bolts the PO had put on them with clevis pins.

Suggestions? Thanks to all of the knowledgeable staff who have helped me in the past especially Mr Witt!

Fowler
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Been workin on my Mule...now some questions

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Are you trying to shift it WITHOUT the 2-3 poppet ball, spring and plug in place? DON'T DO IT! Without the poppet in place, it's possible to move the 2-3 shift collar too far and damage the shift plates in the synchro.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Chuck
With or without the poppet ball the shifter wont move....
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 pm

[urlImagesmallpoppethole061117 by F J, on Flickr][/url]

Heres whats left of the poppet hole...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:28 pm

[urlImage20170503_102507 (1) by F J, on Flickr][/url]

And here it sits.....

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 pm

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VsjJNG][img]http ... .jpg[/img]20170503_102524 by F J, on Flickr[/url]

And another pic. Like I said it runs really well..just stuck in gear!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:25 pm

The next thing I would do would be drop the oil out of the transmission and look for any of the three shift plates from the synchronizer. You may have the problem shown below.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 am

With the 1st rev in neutral and the high low in low can you drive the mule?

If so then the transmission may be slightly or fully engaged in 2nd or 3rd.

But the lock out pin between 2nd 3rd and 1st rev shift shafts prevents shifting the transmission into 2 gears.

When you shift into 1st or rev then the 2nd 3rd shift shaft is locked in neutral or when in 2nd or 3rd then 1st rev is locked in neutral

If able to drive with 1st rev in neutral apply the brakes and see if you can stall the engine. If able to stall then you are fully engaged in either 2nd or 3rd.

If applying the brakes does not stall the engine but stops traveling my guess is:

1-The shift plates are dislodged and apply pressure on the blocking ring #1 and causing either the input shaft [3rd gear] or 2nd spur gear to slightly engage without the synchro sleeve] #3 fully engaged with the synchro teeth on either the input shaft or 2nd speed spur gear.

Chuck is correct drop the oil and look for shift plates.

Either found or not You will have to pull the transmission cover to determine and remedy the problem

The purpose of the blocking plates #4 are to apply force to the blocking ring #1 to allow the synchro sleeve #3 to engage with either the input shaft or 2nd speed spur gear without grinding.

This pic is how I retain the 2nd 3rd shift spring and ball when building a M274 transmission the one without external access. This is how I install a new synchro assy without pulling the engine.

Notice the Notch in both shift shafts this is how the lock-out pin prevents shifting into 2 gears.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 am

Great info! I'll drain the tranny next. Right now the shifter is locked (moves 1/2') when you move it to the 2nd 3rd side. With the engine off I can move the 1st rev shifter back and forth through its full travel. The only way I get neutral is using the Hi Low shifter. The Mule will drive in the current gear (2nd 3rd). If I apply the brake the engine will stall.
Can you give me the specs on the poppet bolt...or a replacement? Im going to rethread and clean up the hole.
I guess Im going to learn how to repair a Mule tranny! But Ive got the best instructors!

Thanks in advance!

Fowler

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 pm

With the engine stalling you should be fully engaged in either 2nd or 3rd gear.

When both the 1st rev and the 2nd 3rd shift shafts are in neutral they will be at the same position [both sticking out of the trans the same distance].

With the 1st rev in neutral is the 2nd 3rd shift shaft into the trans or further out of the trans than the 1st rev shift shaft?

If the 2nd 3rd shift shaft is further in then it's in 3rd gear or further out it's in 2nd gear.

If the Shift Fork is secured to the shift shaft and is in 2nd or 3rd the only reasonable explanation for the 1st rev to move is the lock out pin is missing. With the lock out pin in place the 1st rev shift shaft will not move when the trans is in 2nd or 3rd gear.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:39 am

I think you are going to have to pull the cover to see what's going on. I took down my transmission rebuild article due to a couple of errors, but if you search here and the tech section, you can find enough info to understand how to do it, plus study the MT's. Just remember, there are more than one way to do it and different people have different ways. Good luck.

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks guys I'll be tearing into it in a couple of weeks
I'll keep everyone posted
Thanks

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Been dealing with health and family issues so with those out of the way I finally started back with the mule.
Drained the tranny today, no funny stuff came out. Ran a magnet into the drain hole...no metal or pieces of anything.
Guess the next step is remove the shift shafts, drive shaft, and remove the front tranny cover...see what I can find....

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Finally got some time to work on the mule. Removed the drive shaft and shift rods. The prop shaft bearing cover came off easily as well as the shaft nut. I put some large washers on the bearing cover studs and used a gear puller. Pop! the cover came off without any heating. I realized the bevel spur gearshaft and the input spur gearshaft were coming out too I stopped and pushed the cover back. I realized what you were saying about making a puller to remove the bearings from the shafts with the cover. So my next step is making the shaft bearing puller so I can finish removing the cover
Attached is a pic of the washers on the studs of the bearing
ImageTranny Puller by F J, on Flickr[/img]

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Since the cover came off I put a spacer between the tranny housing and the front cover. I put the bolt on the helical gearshaft and bopped it with a rubber mallet until it popped out.
Looks like Ive got some busted gear teeth on the first reverse spur gear and the counter cluster gear also theres a piece of gear embedded in the front cover.....

Return to “Mule M274”