Drain plugs

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
jeeptj1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Drain plugs

Post by jeeptj1 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Well im changing the axle and tranny gear oil and all the drain plugs and fill plugs are out but one. Im pretty sure im not getting it out by brute strenghth. Saw some notes on using heat but im a little scared about torching the aluminum or boiling the gear oil or a fire. Im soaking it with pc blaster for a couple days but not expecting much. I tried removing with the impact hardened 3/8 extension but it didn't work either. Also what does everyone use to put the gear oil in. Thanks john Jr.

Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Drain plugs

Post by Lance-W » Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm

They sell pumps for the gallon jugs of gear oil. Warm the oil up first.... Sit it in the sun, put it in a bucket of very hot water, etc. Warm, it pumps pretty easy, cold it's a P.I.T.A. The pump is plastic so too much force trying to pump it cold and SNAP! Warm the oil.

jeeptj1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jeeptj1 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Lance, thanks. Any place or type store to buy that pump in particular? John jr

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by ccandgc » Wed May 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Any auto parts store worth their weight should have the pump, more than likely in the oil section.
-Chad

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 pm

I thought when using an extension with an impact gun, it loses the turning power/vibrating power of the gun
change user name to mark

jeeptj1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jeeptj1 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 am

Sorry, i didnt use an impact gun, i just used the hardened impact 3/8 extension. Thoght somebody on one of the threads said it would work better. John jr

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu May 25, 2017 3:16 am

My mistake then
change user name to mark

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:00 am

Since you are using an 3/8" impact extension then your 1/2 pipe plugs are the old style 3/8" square socket. The A5s used a 3/8" Allen Socket plug.

If your fill or drain plug on the Drop Gear housing is stuck heat is your friend but use caution and heat in a circular pattern. aluminum will transfer heat quickly so do not be afraid of melting unless you hold the torch in one place. I heat everything even the timing cover of the 2cyl engine. I do not like to scrap gaskets and heat loosens the cover from the gasket. I use heat on the gear cover housings and transmission cover also.

Heat is your friend and CAUTION is your Guarding Angle.

If it is your fill or drain plug on the transmission or front center section:

The drain plug is bathed in gear oil and will require more heat as the lube will help dissipate heat.

The fill plug should have lube level with it and use a circular motion to heat around the plug

I use a 1/2 pipe tape to chase the threads and wire wheel the plug threads. If the plug threads are damaged I use a pipe die to restore.

Before I chase threads I use Brake cleaner to help clean and remove debris so the tap is cleaning and chasing aluminum. squirt from the fill hole and let it drain from the drain hole.

For the Drop Gear housings I ground the first 4 threads from the pipe tape so it will fully engage and restore the threads without hitting the driven gear. It is a stubby pipe tap and works great with out hitting the gear.
Last edited by muleman7 on Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

jeeptj1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jeeptj1 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:33 am

Muleman, thanks i will try the heat after the holiday. John jr

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri May 26, 2017 2:14 pm

When all else fails, I drill a 1/2" hole in the plug and use a 1/2" ease-out. Be VERY careful that your drill bit does not hit the driven gear.

jeeptj1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jeeptj1 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Chuck, im going to try the heat first but what about the shavings from the drilling inside the plug. Should i try a magnet or just run some gear lube thru it to get any filings out. How close are the gears once the bit goes thru. Thanks John jr

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Shavings:
Drain lube with bottom plug removed and use Brake Cleaner spraying into fill hole using the supplied straw tube. This will give good controlled spray into the Drop Gear Housing flushing out any debris. Remove the Boot's outer band and turn boot lip outward to drain lube from steering knuckle. When ready to fill replace boot/clamp and bottom plug.
Pull the top steering knuckle pin and put about 14oz or 80W-90 weight lube into pin hole. this is the easiest way I found to fill because it is faster and allows lube to transfer to the drop gear portion leveling out. Filling from the fill plug side is time consuming. Once you see lube dripping from the fill hole replace plug. At this point you could allow the lube to spill out until it is level with the bottom of the fill hole. The newer DG Housings hold more lube than the Early DG Housing

How close is the Driven Gear?
Depends on the Drop gear Housing:
Early Style about 1/2"-3/4"
Later Style [extended well at the fill plug] 1"-1-1/2"

Drill in steps 3/16 then 5/16 then 7/16 then 1/2 should give you better control once the drill goes through

Chase holes and plugs to renew threads.

Use Never-Seez on the pipe plugs and do not over tighten. I use Mariners Choice Never Seez.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

jeeptj1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jeeptj1 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:05 am

Muleman, thanks.am going to try your heat suggestion first. Have a good holiday everyone. John jr

major519
G-Major
G-Major

Post by major519 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:39 am

Like Chuck I have found that sometimes the last resort is to drill through and easy out the plug.
I had the Allen type plug strip on mine and this was the only solution.
As far as heat, I use a propane torch and not oxy acetylene to avoid the easy chance of getting things too hot.
Patientience and repetition is key working away until it lets go.
1968 M274A5 USMC 325489
1966 M274A2 USMC 333007
1958 M274 US ARMY 2B3379
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715
1981 M101CDN Manac 3/4 trailer
1984 M1009 CUCV
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer

Return to “Mule M274”