Motor guard repair

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
Motor guard repair

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Just thought I'd share my motor guard repair. This was the one off my most recent mule purchase. It only took a couple of hours. I bent the 11 gauge steel pipe with my hydraulic pipe bender, I got from harbor freight. It's not the best but it works for my needs. Once I got the right angle, I cut out the bad part of the guard and marked my new pipe for correct size. Welded them both in. Next I'll clean it up and get it ready for paint.
Attachments
Motor guard 1.jpg
Motor guard 1.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 747 times
motor guard 2.jpg
motor guard 2.jpg (13.51 KiB) Viewed 747 times
motor guard 3.jpg
motor guard 3.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 748 times
motor guard 4.jpg
motor guard 4.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Motor guard repair

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Looking good Dave, BTW, what gauge is the motor gard on the rest of the mule made from?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 am

I've thought about getting one of those benders from HF, do you think they are worth the money? Does not look like it will do tight bends without crimping the tube. Wonder if you could fill the tube with sand or something before bending to keep it from collapsing? Your thoughts on this tool? Thanks!

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:13 am

Auto Shop teacher wrote:Looking good Dave, BTW, what gauge is the motor gard on the rest of the mule made from?
Thanks John
I'm not sure what gauge pipe was used originally, but it's not as thick as what I used. Being a self taught welder I find it a little easier to weld.
Dave

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:44 am

Chuck W. wrote:I've thought about getting one of those benders from HF, do you think they are worth the money? Does not look like it will do tight bends without crimping the tube. Wonder if you could fill the tube with sand or something before bending to keep it from collapsing? Your thoughts on this tool? Thanks!
Chuck I paid $100.00 for mine, it's ok, for the money. The heavier the gauge pipe, the less it seems to kink. The sand would work good, but it takes more time. I was told that when you bend welded steel pipe, you need to put the weld seam on the outside of the curve. I wish it did a little better job on tighter angles, but you get what you pay for. BTW what do think of 4 cylinder mules? I found one close that is pretty nice.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:32 pm

I may have to take a closer look at a bender.

Dave, I don't care for the AO4-53 engine, to me, it's just too hard to work on, and I'm too old. If you are up for self-flagellation, by all means, go for it :D I personally think the military got it right when they developed the 2-cylinder conversion kit.

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I trust what you say, so I think I'll steer clear.

Return to “Mule M274”