rust removing product

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
rust removing product

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Has anyone out there used this product for cleaning rust from a mule gas tank? This is like that product I recommended before called Rust Clean ( which is not available anymore ). I have watched the videos on youtube about it and it looks like it works pretty good. You can get it at most auto parts stores and Harbor Freight. The tank on the mule I just got was pretty cruddy inside. But after a quick rinse with acetone it looks good. Just some minor surface rust. I thought I'd give this a try. Any experience with this stuff out there?
Attachments
evapo-rust.jpg
evapo-rust.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 634 times

Dave M38A1
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: rust removing product

Post by Dave M38A1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Used this on some old bolts and rusty wrenches I picked up. Seemed to work well.
I just put some in a pan and soaked the parts in the solution. Might work in the gas tank, haven't tried that.

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

old man

Post by old man » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:32 pm

I've used it a lot. some applications it works great, others not so well.
I found that what ever I was cleaning with it need to be submerged it it. I used a 1 gallon plastic tote, put all of the product in, and put the parts in it, and sealed the lid. it evaporates quickly. I leave the parts in for 24 hours, when you take them out you need to rise them off with water or they get a white film on it.
For small parts I used a fruit jar put the small parts in and filled the jar. again the next day I poured the stuff off and washed the parts. then put more parts in the jar and used it over and over. there is a point when it just is to dirty and doesn't work well.

Larger parts that I had to leave the container open and rotate the part. it did a little cleaning but not as good as when your part is submerged in it.
I thought about using it on one of my gas tanks but figured it would be almost 8 gallons of the stuff and I think it cost about 23.00 a gallon. I decided to
not to use it for that.
it does not remove paint. but the small rusty parts, it was surprising how nice they came out.

I'm just saying what my experience has been with it. If you do use the stuff please let us know what kind of luck you have with it.

Steve

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:15 pm

That last time I used a product like this on a gas tank. I used about 1 and 1/2 gallons. I put it in the tank, sealed it off and would let it set for about a 1/2 a day and roll it to another side and let it set and repeat process til all sides and ends were done, then flushed it with it out with water, followed by acetone.
Then Red Kote.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 pm

Might also want to rinse with something like vinegar to neutralize any acid that might be in the rust cleaner...just a thought...

Gunslinger1$
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Gunslinger1$ » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:41 pm

this one calls for regular water rinse. then you can either etch prime and paint. or you can redip it in the Evapo- Rust and it will coat it and keep it from flash rusting.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Evaporust and envirorust both are excellent, NO Work, rust removers, just don't use a metal 55gal drum to soak the stuff, it shortens the useful life. Did many Mill parts over the past year restoring an old 1919 mill. Great stuff, both of them. Wish I knew the chemical formula though as its expensive.No need to rinse, just paint or apply some oil, or polish then oil.
V/r W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Mule M274”