A5 Tow Mule in the winter

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

A5 Tow Mule in the winter

Post by old man » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:12 pm

The temp. was up to 38 today. It was a good time to take the Tow mule out and see how she does in the snow. The Beast did great, just the right amount of slip when cornering, easy to steer, I tried to get her into a slide but she held the turn perfectly. The snow cover is pretty minimal right now only 6 inches, but she floated right over the top. The hardest part is using the pedals with snow boots on.
At times I have to learn things the hard way. Here In the cold climates just storing your mule in the shed isn't enough. I warmed the shed up to 40 for the night before and they run great. below 28 (that's as cold as I have tried) ..... the oil and gear lube in it, it is just to thick and stiff for the old girls to move. I have a pretty bad case of arthritis and when I get cold my old bones don't like to move either. So I just say they get a bad case of arthritis, just warm them up and they will be just fine. I'm sure I could change the fluids out for winter lube and oil. But I don't play much out side in the snow any more myself.
Attachments
021a.jpg
021a.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 734 times

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: A5 Tow Mule in the winter

Post by crankshaft45 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:55 am

Looking good!
82nd Airborne 1960-63

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 am

Looking good Steve, now all you need is a half ton of ballast and a snow blade and your good to go. Did you have any trouble shifting in the cold weather with the #90 gear oil as thick as tar?

progun3400
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by progun3400 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Looks like fun.....................

Return to “Mule M274”