Steering wheel mystery nut

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
triggertime
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Steering wheel mystery nut

Post by triggertime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:24 am

Mystery steering wheel. What is it and how do I tale it off? Let me guess, Chuck has a special wrench for it.
M38
M274a2

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Steering wheel mystery nut

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:36 am

Looks like someone cobbled up a combination of a Jeep wheel stud and other junk to attach the wheel.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:37 am

It looks like someone drove a wheel stud with a washer on it in to the tube . Warren Duchesne

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:47 am

And it is evident that the guy was a true mechanic and not the average "parts changer". This will be fun to undo. Tack on a bolt and use a slide hammer to pull the stud, hopefully the shaft will be useable.

Remember, the thread on the shaft is 13/16"-20.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by old man » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:42 am

please keep us informed as to what you find, and share photos id possible. This looks interesting.
Thank You for sharing

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Sure looks like someone hammered a wheel lug stud with a washer on it to secure the steering wheel. Probably gonna need to weld on a nut and slide hammer it off. Better soak the whole mess in penetrating oil for a few days first. As was said earlier, hopefully the outer threads aren't gone, but it appears the shaft has been ground down flush with the wheel. Sheesh! I can't say this was a half-assed repair, looks more like 1/4 ass to me.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Here is a NOS steering shaft for sale, all you will need extra is the nut, (not another lug stud I hope..) :lol: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251637764480?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

triggertime
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by triggertime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Still waiting for chuck to reply with a part number on a wrench that Saturn surplus sells for $4.99 before I get medieval on it.
M38
M274a2

old man

Post by old man » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:09 am

I hope I'm not out of line here, but want to let you know.
chuck is dealing with some family issues right now and isn't on the computer much, so if you can be patient in waiting for a reply.
I don't feel at liberty to go into details of his personal life. Just to let you know to be patient waiting for an answer.
old man

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:07 am

Well, I think I speak for all of us here that we wish Chuck nothing but the best.

progun3400
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by progun3400 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Auto Shop teacher wrote:Well, I think I speak for all of us here that we wish Chuck nothing but the best.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hear, hear................................

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks everyone. Dealing with issues with 89 year old mother with cancer and 90 year old father-in-law with heart valve problems.

Somebody has screwed up that steering column good. My first thought was to remove the column from the steering box, remove the coupling from the end of the shaft, and insert a rod up through the shaft and use it to drive out the wheel stud, but not sure if you would have room to drive out the roll pin that holds the coupling on the steering shaft. Probably the slide hammer is the best idea. I would be surprised if you are able to save the shaft, looks like it has been cut off short.

On the other hand, it works, so maybe just leave it alone! Good conversation piece!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

triggertime
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by triggertime » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:33 am

Hang in there Chuck. We couldn't do a lot of this on here without your patience and knowledge.

Well worked on the wheel a little. Whoever said its a wheel stud hammered in there must have owned this mule at one time or another. Welded a nut on and slide hammered until it broke off,.....leaving the stud. Tried some other tactics and profanities to no avail. Was unable to get the shaft loose at the box.
Plan B....Drill through the wheel stud as big as I could. Internal bearing puller still wouldn't move it. Cut through side of stud with a carbide burr then pulled it. It came out (having it checked for finger prints) with a bearing puller however the wheel still would not come off. The stud mushroomed the top of the steering shaft. Kind of a reverse taper.
Plan C....Portaband. Took my portable bandsaw cut the spokes off the wheel. Then cut through the center of the wheel the depth of the steering wheel spline and peeled it off like an orange peel. Removed the outer steering shaft to expose the ancient pipe wrench marks gouged all over the steering shaft from the previous master mechanic. This was a prelude to what a bitch it was going to be to get the shaft out of the coupling. Removed the bent cross pin with the aid of a soon to be broken punch and shaft would not move. Tried putting a clamp on the shaft and tapping it out. Tapping soon turned to beating, then to profanities, then to more heat, then to more sea foam deep creep then to retreat until another day. Next try removed the worm gear from the box and hit it with the big torch. This did the trick and a quick email to our friend John Emery has some new parts headed my way. So relaxing working on Mules.
M38
M274a2

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:26 am

So relaxing working on Mules.
I had a pretty good vocabulary after working with coal miners for 35 years, but working on the mule has helped me develope a better grasp of the language, and I've even invented some new words that I'm not sure what they mean, but sure feels good to scream them at the mule :D

triggertime
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by triggertime » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Ordered My parts from Mr. Emery end of last week, got them Monday and back together Tuesday. Not all bad.
M38
M274a2

Return to “Mule M274”