cleaning and painting day in the barn

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

cleaning and painting day in the barn

Post by old man » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Stuff has been piling up in the x-garage now mule barn so it was time to do some cleaning. I hated to prime the shinny new aluminum gas tank but it is time to get things covered before the nasty cold sets in up here. As I came across parts from the orphan that were ready they were primed. And I'm not one to set around and watch paint dry so the sorting and cleaning began. My son stopped over and seen I had a few parts that needed the gasket material removed. He came back with this label peeler. darn thing works pretty good. they don't stay real sharp very long but he says they only cost a buck or so. I'm just happy he cleaned up the parts for me to show me how well it worked. well at the end of the day most of the parts are sorted and piled up. The orphan is not a basket case at all....It is a total tote case. everything is in 10 gallon totes, expect for the engine trans axle and the tubes. I'm still waiting for them from the soda blaster. each sub assembly is broken down completely, OK I know what your thinking, Yes I used a lot of them but menards had them on sale. Kinda nice no oil soaked box's falling apart.
I did notice the A5's drop downs where leaking again, seems like after tie downs and a few hours on them they start weeping, anyone else have that issue?
I hope everyone is having a great week end.
Attachments
003a.jpg
a handy little tool
003a.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 548 times
001a.jpg
painted up new gas tank
001a.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 547 times

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: cleaning and painting day in the barn

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:07 am

Thanks for the photos Steve, can you sharpen that scraper on the grinder to put a new edge on it? Does your new fuel tank have any sort of coating on the interior to prevent corrosion with the ethanol fuels we are forced to run now days? It is too bad that we have to consider that option, so much for 'progress'....

old man

Post by old man » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:52 am

I am told no coating needed it is 1/8 aluminum. no rust, corrosion well that is a loaded one, Most information comes from boat tanks E-10 has no effect or problems, if you have a little water no problem. the question becomes the substance that is created when water and old ethanol mix.
I searched on line and holy smokes that is opening a can of worms. opinions very all over the place and no real information on non-boat related tanks. the best I found was old ethanol gas would be the only problem, and if you use a gas treatment when stored there should no be problem. I started running aviation fuel when I can't find schell 90, Maybe some that work there mule every day would go through a lot of gas. One tank is good for something like 150 miles, I don't know of anyone that puts that many miles on their mule in a year. I usually run 3 gals in mine and when I know I will be driving it a lot I put 5 gals in. here av gas is about 5.48 a gal. so when I park it for the winter It cost me 16.44 and av gas has a long shelf life,
I think Emery mule supply sells both the aluminum and stainless steel tanks. I know the aluminum one for sure because I got mine from John, He might have more information on the subject.
I'm not sure what I am going to do with the old tank, lots of surface rust on the inside, and some pretty heavy dents on the out side.
well it is already hot and humid here,I don't think I will complain to much because in 60 days it will be freezing.
have a good Sunday.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 am

When I bought some new fuel tanks for my railroad museum's diesel generators, I decided to coat the interiors before I installed them to prevent rust in the first place. I have used muriatic acid diluted with water and an old length of heavy chain to clean off the interior rust inside of old tanks. The only problem occurred when the chain got stuck on a tank baffle one time. That took some work to get it out before I coated the interior.

I would agree that the avgas/keeping your tank full option is probably the best to prevent rust and corrosion.

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:35 am

Is Shell 90 ethanol free?
82nd Airborne 1960-63

old man

Post by old man » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:32 am

Oh I did make a mistake shell it s either 90 or 91, and states one the pump ethanol free. I do that a lot we have schell Beer here. beer gas well they go together anyway. I found this web page (pure-gas.org) http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN I have it the link set to Minnesota. you can pick a state in the high lited area. That's how i found a station here that had ethanol free gas here in town. I'll make another new topic post with this information maybe more people would be interested in it.
Oh and it is a good beer!
Attachments
Schells-Beer.jpg
Schells-Beer.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Return to “Mule M274”