drop down needle bearings

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

drop down needle bearings

Post by old man » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Is there a cross reference part no. for the needle bearing in the drop downs? something form a local parts store. I know the needle bearing in the trans axle is a Torrington b_88. I would think there should be something on that order for the needle bearings in the drop downs.

So far I have pulled 6 drop downs apart. I have only had one that the rollers stayed in placed when dis assembly. Am I doing something wrong or am I just running into that many bad bearings.

Any tips on getting the roller bearings sleeve out of the drop down? no roller left in the sleeve. I've tried a few different pullers and it just pulls the top lip off. There has to be a easier way of doing it.

On the A5 I have noticed that the previous owner (or someone in the past). had the dust cover packed with grease. I removed the dust cover and it was full of grease, the cvc joint and everything from there out was packed solid with grease. the only good thing is there was no rust problem going on. I do use a light coat of grease on the cvc joint. but not to this extent.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: drop down needle bearings

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Timken B-1412 $10.49 at O'Reilly, sometimes cheaper on Amazon.

I use a cheap, 3-legged pilot bearing puller from Harbor freight. Have to grind the points on the bottom of the legs flat so they will go in behind the bearing.

Also, make sure when you are installing the bearings, the rounded side of the cup goes in first, and make sure you use the correct size driver. If you don't have one, I'll machine one for you.

DO NOT PACK WITH GREASE, gear oil only! It's OK to use a little grease during assembly, but service with oil.

old man

Post by old man » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:25 am

chuck if you would machine a driver for me I would greatly appreciate it. I will be happy to make a contribution to the mule widow and orphan fund.
Thank You

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Chuck, if you are starting a production line, I would love to buy one as well.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Not a problem, I make these adapters to fit the large handle in the Harbor Freight #68971 Bushing/Bearing driver set. None of the adapters in that kit fit the needle bearings very well, and you really need a good close fit when you are driving those bearings in. Just PM me the addresses (again!) and I'll get them out next week.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Ready to mail!

rosie
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by rosie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Guys,

If you are talking about roller needle bearing 713759 you may want to consider they are not designed to be extracted.!!!!! Those bearings are removed the simplest way by using a press and pressed completely through the housing, which forces out the expansion plug, 8336138.

Replacement bearing is installed the same way but in reverse, and then the expansion plug is installed, no different than the freeze plug on an engine block, exactly the same principle.

10 minutes and you are done!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:39 pm

I'll have to disagree, only the two bearings in the cover can be removed by driving the plugs out, the one in the housing has no plug behind it and still needs to be extracted. I have no problem using the modified puller, I can pop all three bearings out in probably 20 minutes tops.

Return to “Mule M274”