Here we go again....another project mule!

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Here we go again....another project mule!

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:30 pm

did you find a way to rebuild the cooling fan pulley assemblies yet?
I think that will be a winter project.

I didn't like the way the clutch was acting on this mule, so I pulled the engine out and I'm going to put a new clutch and rebuil pressure plate in, much easier now with the deck still off.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Well, found the clutch proiblem....after I pulled and installed the engine 5-6 times today......got my parts mixed up and used a jeep throwout bearing carrier instead of a mule, about 1" too long! I've learned a lot from this mule......like never touch another one!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Parts came from John today. Installed new clutch, installed correct throwout bearing carrier and installed the engine....for what I hope is the last time!

Everything clean and ready to install.

Clutch lineup tool. Old jeep input shaft, cut the gear off and welded a ring on the end. Easier to keep up with!

Much better! With the jeep throwout bearing carrier, the bearing was all the way out to the end of the guide tube...I know it didn't look right, took a while to figure out why! And I did install the return spring after I took this photo!

Knock on wood, hope this will be the final installation of this engine!

Next week I plan to start installing the deck.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 am

Still making progress. Just about ready to fire up.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for all the great photos Chuck, gives up nubies something to look at. It is nice to hear that even experts such as yourself have problems too getting things just right. Thanks for sharing the good as well as the bad with us. :|

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 am

Looks great!!!!
82nd Airborne 1960-63

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I was finally able to recover the info from the data plate on this mule and it is the oldest one that I have seen, and the oldest one I have in my database. Serial number is "M274 1047", date of delivery is "2-58". I can't read the registration number, but by my database info, I think it should be "2B3303".

Now the delimma: since this mule has been changed over to a 2-cylinder, it should be tagged as an M274A3. I have 0 entrys in my database for M274A3 mules. This may be because they kept their old M274 data plate, serial number and registration number. I'm trying to decide what plate to put back on it. I have a photo of what I THINK is an A3 data plate.

I would like to have some photos of data plates on M274's that have been converted to 2-cylinder AO-42 engines, even if they retained the M274 data plate, but especially if they were re-tagged with an A3 data plate.

Thanks!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:04 pm

This mule is kicking my ass. It fights me at every turn. Simple project today, install the brake return spring.....but there's no hole in the crossmember! In order to drill the hole, I first have to pull the LF wheel back off. NOTHING goes as planned! I don't know if I am getting too old to work on these things or if this is just the mule from hell. I need to walk away from this thing for a while and work on my CJ3B!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Mule fired and ran for a few seconds today. Need to go get 5 gallons of non-ethanol gas and see if I can get this mule finished up.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Looking good Chuck, why do you have those red extensions between the rear engine guard and the deck for?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:57 pm

It's part of the 4-cylinder to 2-cylinder conversion kit, the bed is lifted 2" with spacer blocks at the frame tube mounts, along with new rear frame tubes, so corresponding 2" extensions are necessary on the engine guard. This is necessary for additional clearance for the taller AO-42 engine.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Got gas in the tank today and finally got the air out of the lines and got the engine running. Sounds good, no smoke or leaks (knock-on-wood). I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to finish the battery box and get it mounted, install a new throttle cable and maybe touchup the paint on the bed. It will be good to call this one done!

Return to “Mule M274”