oil leak at fuel pump?

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
nw5s
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

oil leak at fuel pump?

Post by nw5s » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 am

I have a slow drip oil leak on the right side of the engine when looking from the rear. All kinds of muck has accumulated just inside and underneath the shroud. Push rod tube seal leak seemed the most reasonable to check for, but removing the top shroud and inspecting the tube seals revealed no leak. So I cranked up the motor and started clearing away the muck hoping to see where the oil might be coming from. I actually saw a drip occur from what appeared to be the fuel pump. Ran out of time to investigate further, but will have some time today. Is the fuel pump a likely place for an oil leak?
------------
Bruce/nw5s
1968 M274A5 Automatic Sprinkler Corp

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: oil leak at fuel pump?

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 am

Could be as simple as tightening the mounting bolts, or the pump needing replacement.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: oil leak at fuel pump?

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Before you go trying to tighten those bolts, keep in mind that on the AO-42 engine, the fuel pump mounting holes are blind holes, they don't go all the way through, so if someone has used too long of a bolt, the bolt will bottom out in the hole before it tightens against the fuel pump, and you'll have a large oil leak. The bolts should not be more than 3/4" long. If they are too long and are bottomed out in the hole, an attempt to tighten them could result in broken-off bolts, or worse! :o

Return to “Mule M274”