New M274 mule owner

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: New M274 mule owner

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:30 am

If the engine runs well the first few minutes and loses power later makes me think you have a fuel delivery problem still. I would pull the tank, drain it and do an inspection of the tank, fuel inlet filter, blow through the fuel lines piece by piece all the way to the carb. Don't assume the fuel filter cannot be clogged again. Lots of crud in the tank will clog one up real quick. Before you start that, next time you loose power, loosen the gas cap while it is still running and see how it runs with the gas cap unsealed. Good luck.

cpearce
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by cpearce » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:13 pm

It just has a gas tank strapped to the back, so that could be the issue. The old tank leaks so i didn't bother even using it. The video on pg6 shows the gas tank setup.

cpearce
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by cpearce » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:03 pm

Nope, threw a rod. Debating about scrapping it now as I'm not sure i want to rebuild the engine and it does it again.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Your gas tank doesn't appear to have the fuel return line hooked to it from the carburetor, that and there doesn't appear to have a vent on your gas can to let air in when the liquid fuel is used. That and rechecking the fuel filter and verifying it isn't clogged. (I blow through fuel filters with my mouth, get a little gas on yer lips, but lets you know for sure if there is any blockage.) Remember to blow, not suck, (that tastes really bad!) :wink:

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 pm

So that noise we hear on the video was a rod knocking, sorry to hear that. At this point, it seems that your two best options are either sell your mule (please don't scrap it), or buy a A042 generator engine and swap all the mule parts over to the new engine. Or put it back in the barn again. Tough call, good luck.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 am

Well, you can't say you didn't try. You've gotten a lot of experience working on your engine. but maybe you just need to park it for a while and keep an eye out for a gen set engine at a good price. Not sure where you are at, but if you can attend a vehicle rally like Aberdeen or Tower Park, you might find a deal on an engine. Good luck, and don't give up!

cpearce
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by cpearce » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks for all of the help and support. It is obviously frustrating, after all that work, for it to break down again like it did. I'll probably set it in the garage and work on it over the winter, once both of us have had enough time to cool down haha. I'm still impressed by myself to even get it running though, considering I've never done anything close to this.

I'm guessing I didn't break the engine down far enough and there was still shards of metal somewhere. With how cheap I can get a set of pistons/cylinders, I'll probably try replacing them again and take the engine fully apart. It shouldn't take anywhere near as long considering there wont be literally an inch thick of mud/oil/grease covering it as well as knowing how to take it apart. Not sure I want to spend the $500+ shipping on a genset engine yet. However, I guess I'll have to see the exent of the damage, albeit I don't think I've made it any worse than before.

I live in Utah, but the mule is in Montana. Neigher of which is near one of those rallys. With how small the engine is, I can throw it in the back of my truck and haul it back again. Should have it rebuilt by next spring.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:56 am

If you need the cases and/or crankshaft, I have a couple of old engines that were replaced with gen set engines. All the unique mule parts are gone, but the cases and crankshaft are good and I'd be willing to donate one to the cause if you find you have a damaged case or something. Good luck and don't give up, youre doing great!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm

I think you better take the engine completely down and CLEAN EVERYTHING! especially the crankcase and oil distribution lines and filter. If your crank has any damaged main or rod bearing journals, better replace them to prevent going down this road again. Take lots of photos of everything from many angles so you will know how things go back together. Use plastigauge on the rod bearings to check clearances and be sure to prime the oil pump gears with clean grease to insure it priming. Use a torque wrench and follow the torque values in da book. Too tight, could break/damage nuts and bolts, too loose, stuff will work loose and fall off.

And remember the best tool in your tool box is TM 2805-14/4, or the other number is TM5-2805-213-14. Read the book before you start and re-read the chapter you are working on as you re-assemble and you will be rewarded with a good running, reliable mule. Good luck.

cpearce
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by cpearce » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:08 pm

I got some sad news this week. My dad's shop where the mule was kept caught fire. The entire building and mule is a total loss :(. I still have the torn apart engine in my garage so I'm going to give it some time and see if i want to buy another new mule and use it for parts. A lot of work and sentimental value gone in a matter of hours. Between the upper floor falling down and combustibles around it there really isn't much to salvage. Let alone the rest of the building. RIP mule at least i got one last ride this summer.

338Edge
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by 338Edge » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. Very, Very sad. Maybe another one will turn up so that you can get that motor put on it.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Please look your mule over very carefully before you scrap it as things like the steering box and possibly some of the steel parts might be salvaged on your next mule project. Some of those parts are made from 'unobtanium', and those parts are hard to find, and always expensive. Best of luck with your next mule.

cpearce
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by cpearce » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:46 pm

All that is left is what you can see in this picture. Once the deck caught fire it melted a lot of the steel. I'm surprised they used magnesium with it being so flammable.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:19 am

Cpearce, please check your PMs. thanks

Slwndn955i
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Slwndn955i » Sun May 31, 2015 10:41 am

Hi
I was just given a mule. My engine doesn't run. I would like to restore this. If you decide not to rebuild yours, would you consider selling the engine.
Semper Fi

Return to “Mule M274”