Mule Tool

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Mule Tool

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:10 pm

This is an oldie but a goodie, I'm sure almost everybody has one of these, but I thought some of the new mule owners might use this tip:

You get ready to change the plugs and put your 3/4" wrench on the plug wire to remove it, but the spark plug turns with the wire. What to do?

You make one of these. It's a thin-wall, deep-well 7/8" socket with the end cut off, a slot cut in the side, and a handle welded on.

The slot allows you to slide the socket over the plug wire and onto the spark plug.

Now you can hold the spark plug with the socket and loosen the plug wire with your open-end 3/4" wrench.

Easy to make and a real timesaver.

Dave A.
Lt Col, USAF
Re: Mule Tool

Post by Dave A. » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 am

Thanks...very helpful!

Dave A.

nickd
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by nickd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I am glad to see you read my articles in Military Vehicles Magazine Chuck. Did you make a set of bent wrenches also shown in the article as well? I have a couple more mule tools that did not make the article too.
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:30 pm

I've got several different wrenches that I've modified over the years to work on mule engines, especially for the nuts that hold the carb to the manifold. I've got the transmission bearing pusher tools and the cut down transmission cover that I use to set the clearance at the synchronizer, these are shown in the transmission rebuild series.

It would be interesting to see what other tools folks have developed or modified over the years to work on mules!

Had to drop my MVM subscription, got too expensive!

charles fitton
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by charles fitton » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Chuck W. wrote:This is an oldie but a goodie, I'm sure almost everybody has one of these, but I thought some of the new mule owners might use this tip:

You get ready to change the plugs and put your 3/4" wrench on the plug wire to remove it, but the spark plug turns with the wire. What to do?
You make one of these. It's a thin-wall, deep-well 7/8" socket with the end cut off, a slot cut in the side, and a handle welded on.
The slot allows you to slide the socket over the plug wire and onto the spark plug.
Now you can hold the spark plug with the socket and loosen the plug wire with your open-end 3/4" wrench.
Easy to make and a real timesaver.

Thanks Chuck! This is one of the answers that I need .
Hows' about posting an article on fuel pump, and carb removal....With the special tools, of course...

f
Bren Carriers
Maryhill
Ontario
Canada

Reillybrew
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Reillybrew » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Found that two different brand 7/8" 1/2 in deep socket wont fit over my mule spark plugs. Seems that it's just a few mm's shy internal clearance. Kobalt brand 7/8" SAE deep socket and home depots husky impact driver deep socket which has maybe 1/4" more internal clearance doesn't fit. They hit the threaded end of the plug before engaging the nut. Are there longer plugs out? champion of autolites? I am not familiar with aviation plug, among other things with this engine.

I have replacement autolite 2223 plugs so I'm considering sawing off tip of current plugs in the engine to allow for clearance to take them out with the tools I have. Current plugs are unknown to me and confusing that standard deep socket wont fit over plug extension.

Any better ideas out there I should consider? I wouldnt want to ruin a good set of plugs without trying another technique.

lastly, the new autolite 2223 plug comes with a thin metal seal/washer of sorts, where does this go, internal seal?

Thanks.
M274 A2

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm

The metal gasket (washer) is used on the spark plug to seal the gap between the spark plug and the cyl head. Usually 18mm spark plugs (like the old Ford engines used up to 1970) were taper seat like modern spark plugs and didn't need them.

As for the spark plug socket, you can buy a 7/8" 1/2"dr deep socket, but even though it was expensive I bought an aircraft spark plug socket like this one. https://smile.amazon.com/Aircraft-Tool- ... lug+socket

I gagged at the high price, but have NEVER regretted buying it because it works so well.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:57 am

I use a Craftsman 7/8 1/2 drive deep socket for the spark plugs. I recently purchased a magnetic deep socket,

Aircraft Tool Supply ATS950 Magnetic Spark Plug Socket from

http://www.skygeek.com/aircraft-tool-su ... ocket.html

I use Snap-ons CG500 Stud Remover/installer instead of double nutting. I have two making it easy to remove the nut and wire wheel the steering knuckle pin studs that unscrew instead of the nut.

I have a Snap-on blind bearing puller for removing the B1412 needle bearing from the DG Housing but recently purchased from Harbor Freight their

Pittsburg Slide Hammer and Bearing Puller

https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-ham ... 62601.html
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Reillybrew
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Reillybrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 am

Turns outs the Craftsman 7/8" deep socket has the internal clearance for the long spark plug plus the thin wall to fit into the cut out for the spark plug itself. 4 different standard (husky/Kobalt) Deep sockets wouldn't fit due to internal clearance and socket wall thickness.
M274 A2

Return to “Mule M274”