Alternator Question

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Alternator Question

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 am

I installed the 1 wire alternator (GM 10si) on my mule. I did some reading about adding 12 volts to the exciter wire on the alternator...I couldnt find anything in the mule files or wiring diagrams. Anyone have any info on this?

TIA
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Alternator Question

Post by abbylind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am

Found this on the "old engine website.....

The #2 Terminal. (Marked with a "2" on the case)
This terminal is used to excite the 10SI into operation. (3-wire 10SI)
It is connected to the battery positive.
For simplicity you can connect the #2 connector pigtail directly to the "batt" terminal on the alternator.
The terminal is present on 1 wire regulators. Used only for those that require the stock connector to fit snugly.
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes, you can make a small jumper and run it from the #2 terminal to the big battery terminal and that will excite the field on the one wire alternator. Wire #1 was used for the alternator out light which you probably won't use. Of course you need to run a wire that will carry the full current capability of the alternator directly to the positive post on the battery. #10 will work fine

John
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:28 am

I install the 1 wire alternators with a self energizing regulator and do not have to run a jumper to excite and make the alternator charge. The regulator self excites around 1800 rpms and is not difficult since the engine pully is about 3 times larger. This setup is used when converting tractors from 6 volt to 12 volt.
Last edited by muleman7 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm

This Delco alternator has "F" and "S" on the case. Im assuming "F" is for the field on the alternator coil? 12v would be applied here?

TIA

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

The F and S stands for field and stator so I don't think you have a Delco 10SI or a 12SI alternator. They are marked 1 and 2 and the terminals on the rear are side by side. The SI means Systems Integrated which means it has an internal regulator. As Charles and others have said, you would be money ahead to get a 10SI and install the low cut in regulator yourself or take it to the auto electric shop and have them install it for you. There are kits available on Fleabay complete with instructions for the 10SI. It uses the residual magnetism in the rotor to excite the alternator to make it start charging and it does it at a lower RPM than the factory regulator. You cannot apply 12 volts to the field without a voltage regulator because it will put out all the current it is capable of until something fails or catches on fire so make real sure you have the right alternator. Call me if you are still having trouble. Contact info is on my website.

GF
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Did some research on the alternator its a 10DN external regulated. It also has an aircraft part number. So I'll be looking for a 10Si like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014HJICQS/re ... B06WP754WV

Thanks for everyones help

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:50 pm

Picked up a 10Si alternator at AutoZone today. This is a tractor low RPM excite model. When it warms up a bit more in the shop I'll put it on... :lol:

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:19 pm

Good thing you aren't here in Ky or you would be waiting a while to hang that new alternator. It's so cold here the lawyers have got their hands in their own pockets. :D

GF
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Now, that's cold! Been around 12 dg here in North Central Alabama at night, 20's in the daytime. If I wanted this type weather, I'd have moved to Wisconsin! Colder than a whore's heart!

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 am

You just drew me in, ordered that alternator from Amazon. 3 degrees here this morning. couple of days ago it was -15 at 10:00pm. That whore's heart would freeze solid.
82nd Airborne 1960-63

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 am

Sorry about the cold guys, last night in So. Calif. it only got down to 63 so we opened some windows all night. :mrgreen:

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 am

I shouldn't complain its been in the 50s here and 20s at night....been busy with taking down Christmas...used the Mule to haul stuff back to the barn

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 am

I'll be glad when our two weeks of winter is over and we can get back to our 90-110 degree days!

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Auto Shop teacher wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 am
Sorry about the cold guys, last night in So. Calif. it only got down to 63 so we opened some windows all night. :mrgreen:
That's just cruel and unusual punishment. :D
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Return to “Mule M274”