Interesting Higgins LCVP for sale $10,000

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Interesting Higgins LCVP for sale $10,000

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:57 am

Ad says 1960 Higgins LCVP - looks like an early Higgins "Eureka" hull - LCP(L) to me. Somebody needs to check this out, there just might be a very rare Higgins boat hidden under all that deckhouse! Compare the photos below:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1274026/0

Compare the LCP(L) in forground below to the hull in the above photo:
Image[/img]

battlebaby3
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by battlebaby3 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:56 pm

I bet that is what it is too. Would love to rebuild that back to its Navy glory. Anyone got some extra money??

Pat
1942 GPW 63239 "Angel "
99th Infantry Division,393rd Reg., E Co. (Battlebabies)
99th Infantry Division Historical Society,Inc. Erie, Pa.
Event Coordinator The Bridge at Remagen, Tidioute.PA
Event Coordinator The Ruhr Pocket, 1945 Train / GI vehicle convoy Battle, Titusville ,PA

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

interesting higgins lcvp for sale

Post by dilvoy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:07 pm

Am I correct in presuming that that boat would be an early type, before they had the opening front? I would guess that the 1960 date is from when it was registered or titled for use. Again just a guess. Cool boat!
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:36 am

Ad says it's a wooden hull, so it's definately earlier than 1960.

Higgins built a line of workboats before the war for use in the Lousiana swamps by oil exploration crews. These were known as Eureka Boats, and Higgins had already developed the tunnel-hull design used in later LCVP's. The first "Higgins Boats" that were provided to the Navy for testing were the Eureka models with a couple of machine gun positions added and were known as LCP(L). The later LCVP's were actually built on the LCP(L) moulds and then the front was sawn off and the bow door was added. Expensive way to build a boat, but saved re-tooling costs. At one point, Higgins had a production line set up down the middle of a street in New Orleans. Higgins built LCVP's, LCM's, Liberty Ships, B24's, and also provided critical machined parts for the Manhatten Project. By the end of the war, Higgins was building 92% of the boats for the Navy. For an interesting history of Higgins Industries, read "Andrew Jackson Higgins and The Boats That Won World War II" by Jerry E. Strahan, I found it to be a great book, and Andrew Higgins was a true American Patriot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080712 ... e&n=283155
I sent an e-mail to the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans to let them know about this hull, thought they might be interested in a Eureka Boat to go along with their LCVP display.

Hanno Spoelstra
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Hanno Spoelstra » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:58 am

Chuck W. wrote:I sent an e-mail to the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans to let them know about this hull, thought they might be interested in a Eureka Boat to go along with their LCVP display.
Great find!

But I think the museum already has one:
http://www.pbase.com/mrclark/image/43870307

Regards,
Hanno

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Wed May 03, 2006 8:57 am

Hanno - Thanks for the photo, I was not aware that the museum had one. Do you know the history of it? Is it an orignal LCP or new construction like their fantastic LCVP? Looks like a trip to the Big Easy is in the future!

Hanno Spoelstra
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Hanno Spoelstra » Thu May 04, 2006 2:31 am

Chuck W. wrote:Hanno - Thanks for the photo, I was not aware that the museum had one. Do you know the history of it? Is it an orignal LCP or new construction like their fantastic LCVP? Looks like a trip to the Big Easy is in the future!
Chuck, I checked google and found the following:
http://www.ddaymuseum.org/about/news_062104.html
http://www.ddaymuseum.org/about/news_092404.html
https://www.piersystem.com/go/doctype/4 ... &offset=40
It's an original LCP(L), discovered floating in San Francisco Bay in 2000, and subsequently restored.

Great looking craft, the Dutch Navy used to have tenders on their destroyers based on the same hull design.

Hanno

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Thu May 04, 2006 12:16 pm

That ALMOST makes me wish I lived in New Orleans!

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Tue May 16, 2006 6:14 pm

George,

As a kid, I remember a few of the party boats on SF bay being converted LCP's. They had a bow that was built right over the old landing craft bow. We called them rocket hulls although far be it from any rocket.

Anyhow, two names come to mind. Cappy Ricks and the Dora Bella. Both were LCPL's with this custom bow.
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Wed May 17, 2006 6:36 am

A lot of folks may not realize that Higgins Industries went on after the war to produce pleasure boats. One model was based on the Eureka hull. Man, I would love to find one of these:

38 Higgins Eureka owned by Hal Stengler

Higgins also built cabin crusers, speed boats, even an amphibious pop-up camper! There's even a Higgins Classic Boat Owner's Club:http://www.higginsclassicboats.com/

Higgins was finally forced out of business by the AFL/CIO. One of Higgins's plants, Michaud, is still in use today producing external fuel tanks for the space shuttle. During the war, this building was the second largest building in the world, next to Willow Run.

Barbee Ponder
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Post by Barbee Ponder » Wed May 17, 2006 3:12 pm

Here is a nice Higgins runabout presently for sale:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... id=1522256

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Thu May 18, 2006 7:14 am

That's a really nice looking Higgins. Seeing those step-plates just brought on a flash-back: I had an uncle who lived on the Tennessee River near Muscle Shoals in the late '50's who had a wooden inboard runabout, always thought it was a Chris-Craft, but now I'm sure it had those script Higgins step-plates! If I didn't have so much money tied up in MV's, I'd own a wooden barrel-back boat.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Tue May 23, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petesilfven
G-General
G-General

Post by petesilfven » Thu May 18, 2006 10:28 am

You don't own a wooden mahogany boat! The boat owns YOU!!!

Maintenance hours are about twice the operating hours, and your friends won't come around until they KNOW you have it in the water...... :lol:
MVPA 21473, GLMVPA
USN 1959-65 USS GALVESTON CLG3
NRA Benefactor Member

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Tue May 23, 2006 12:34 pm

You don't own a wooden mahogany boat! The boat owns YOU!!!
Probably so :cry:

But, man, what a pretty thing!

Aaron1972
G-Civilian
Re: Interesting Higgins LCVP for sale $10,000

Post by Aaron1972 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:14 pm

I have a 1942 Higgins lcvp for sale floating and docked in s.f. bay if anyone is interested

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”