USS Juneau CL-52 FOUND!!

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
USS Juneau CL-52 FOUND!!

Post by steve1973 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 am

I got some exciting news when I got home from work Tuesday morning. I was greeted by my Dad and rushed to the computer to watch a video. The video was about the discovery of the wreck USS Juneau CL-52 which sank during the Battle of Guadalcanal in 1942. What is so important about this ship you say. It took the single most loss of any family during WWII, the five Sullivan brothers. I believe there were four Rogers brothers that were also lost in the sinking. This single event is what became the base for the movie “Saving Private Ryan”. There is a great movie about the Sullivan brothers called “The Fighting Sullivans”. A total of 687 crew members lost their lives with only ten survivors.

https://youtu.be/-TrPylyJRBg

So, why is this exciting? Well, back in the early 1980’s my Dad, Steve Andereggen living in Juneau, Alaska at the time, took an interest of the WWII ship that the city he lived in was named after. With little information available he started researching the ship. Remember, this was before the internet, so everything was done via by phone or writing letters. Of the ten survivors he had found five of them still living, Wyart Butterfield, Arther Friend, Allen Heyn, Frank Holmgren and Lester Zook, Captain Swenson’s son, the PBY pilot that rescued them and the captain of the Japanese submarine that sank the Juneau to name a few. My Dad has many hours on interview tapes and letters from these people and much more. He has some artifacts from the ship including an onboard copy of a ship board newspaper. He gave many lectures on the history of the ship and a planned book.
In 1987 he scratch built a custom model of the ship that was on display in the Juneau Airport for many years till it was sold to a museum, he designed and built a memorial for the USS Juneau downtown near the ferry terminal and the biggest thing of all was to help organize a 4th of July celebration honoring the ship and crew. For this the five remaining crew members, Captain Swenson’s Son and the PBY pilot were flown up for the festivities. Also, the third ship, USS Juneau LPD-10 came up from San Diego for the celebration. Dad along with some other dignitaries were lucky enough to be onboard for the trip. I remember meeting the crew and hearing their stories about the sinking. I even had them sign my school yearbook. Here is a video of a partial TV interview on a local show called Rain Country with my Dad.

https://youtu.be/pV34FdjFRxw

Ironically, in 1989 when Dad moved to Springfield, Oregon the first house we lived in was right around the corner from Lester Zook’s house, small world. We were great neighbors for many years till his death. It was truly an honor and a privilege in meeting these fine people over the years and listening to their stories.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

whitey1736
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: USS Juneau CL-52 FOUND!!

Post by whitey1736 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 am

Interesting story and thanks for sharing!
As a side, I thought Saving Private Ryan was loosely based on the Niland brothers though. Of course, the movie was fictional and material could have been pulled from multiple sources.

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am

Wow... not only the fact they found the ship, but that your dad had so much work gathering the history of the survivors and such.

I bet your dad is really feeling great about this find!

A mile long trail of debris... was that a remote or a mini sub camera?

Very cool story! 8) 8) 8)
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

jfo137
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jfo137 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

I grew up in Buffalo NY where the WWII destroyer USS Sulllivans is a floating museum. Also whitey1736 you are correct the movie Saving Private Ryan was loosely based on the Niland brothers who were form Tonawanda NY, ironically about 10 miles from where the USS Sullivans is located.

RedArrow2016
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RedArrow2016 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am

Really neat story and thanks for posting this so much to learn when it comes to history!
US ARMY 1995-2000
32nd Brigade,126th Field Artillery, Battery D
redarrowparts.com/ email me at bryan@redarrowparts.com

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”