Any colors other than od green?

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Any colors other than od green?

Post by Daddyo4 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:17 am

I just sarted sanding on the rear panel in hopes of uncovering my hood numbers. While i havent seen any blue or yellow stencils yet, I have discovered several layers of color. What seems to be the bottom is a hot red-orange that i assume to be a primer. On top of that is a cream, or off-white layer, followed by a lighter looking O.D. green. On top of this is a good, thorough layer of red followed by a miriad of bubba greens.

Were any od the early mbs painted anything other than od?

What is the white coat under the od paint?

The 4th layer (the red) was a good job, covering the bottom of the tub and all. I assume this was a post-war or post-service paint job. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: Any colors other than od green?

Post by Daddyo4 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:14 am

Also, Im not sure the 3rd layer which i said was o.d. green should really be described as o.d. green. Its a very light and pale green. Very similar to the color of u.s. forestry service vehicles.

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:25 am

Are we talking about MB-105829?

If so that is too early to be in any USMC/Navy contract... so you have an OD Army MB.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:27 am

Try the same sanding inside the tool boxes to check the layers of paint inside. Bubba may have painted his jeep many times but not all Bubba's were going to bother with places where his sprayer could not easily reach. You may find a better paint archival history in there.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:29 am

Yep thats the one. So no known color vaiations at that time? Ill check the toolboxes, thanks.

DanoZeman
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by DanoZeman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 am

When sanding my slat I noticed a similar pale green almost tan before I hit the primer but below the original od. Was the same under the air cleaner bracket which appeared to never have been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States Army Police Officer 2003-2009
MB 16Apr45 serial #435825

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Alright, inside the toolboxes show none of the other colors. Only a few layers of od under the all-encompassing red. This bottom layer of od seems to be non-existant on the rear panel. Was there always a layer of primer under the od? What color was it?

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 am

DanoZeman wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 am
When sanding my slat I noticed a similar pale green almost tan before I hit the primer but below the original od. Was the same under the air cleaner bracket which appeared to never have been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think slats were primed in black, followed by the pale green/yellow zinc-chromate (like they use on aircraft) and then OD. I found traces of these colours on our slat too and so did others.

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:18 pm

So just for kicks i did a little sanding on the hood. Im pretty sure the hood is not original, since the hinge is wrong and its never been drilled for an air deflector. What i found was all the colors that were on the rear panel are on the hood too. This surprised me because it indicates that the hood (although incorrect) has been on the jeep for quite some time. Unlike the rear panel, the hood does show od as a bottom coat. So now im thinking (hoping) maybe the hood and grill were replaced as a repair at the depot before it was surplused? If so, the registration numbers would have been painted on the new hood (right?), so maybe i can get the numbers off of it. If i find any numbers I'll compare them with the estimator and see if they look to be the right ones, or if the hood was from another jeep.

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”