Stmbled upon a slat grill. Whats it worth?

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: Stmbled upon a slat grill. Whats it worth?

Post by Daddyo4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 am

So it seems that the battery tray is the most obvious tell-tale sign to look for? And im guessing that the slat grill frames are fairly hard to come by...

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 am

According to Nabholtz, the battery tray was changed to the standard type after frame# 120700 so the last 5109 slatgrills actually did already have the standard type.

So the correct frame for your early MB body will have the early battery tray.

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:37 pm

So after getting it home and looking at it a little closer, it is on a slat frame, bubba just saw fit to weld in a gpw front crossmember.

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:19 am

That's great! So it has a slat battery tray? Any remnants of the tag on the left front gusset (or holes thereof)?

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:30 pm

The battery tray doesnt look like the repros im seeing online, nor like the late mb , gpw, or 2a trays. Its one piece, squared but the 3 hold downs are slotted in from the sides, not a drilled hole. (Once again i am not on a pc so i cant post pics). So now im examining the hood and fenders. The hood on it has the 11 pc hinge like a 2a. When did the hood hinge change? Did all slats have the 9pc hinge? I dont see any evidence of the air deflector on the underside either. How were they attached? Wrre they welded on or maybe bolted with the hood block bolts?

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:47 pm

I dont think theres any hope for the frame tag. Bubba did a pretty thorough job on the front bumper area. Now, i said its on a slat frame based off of the rear brake line bracket and the tee on the axle tube. I suppose its possible someone moved the bracket to another frame with the axle... I guess the next identifing item to verify the frame should be the length of the reinforcing straps?

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:01 pm

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:41 am

I have never seen a battery tray like that, but have a look at the frame underneath. On our slat the 2 separate sheet metal parts (where the battery sits on) were at sometime replaced with a single sheet, but the frame underneath that is riveted to the jeep's chassis was still there.

The air deflectors on both fenders and hood were attached with small slotted bolts.

On the hood there should be 6 holes, more or less in line with the front holes for the hoodblock's bolts:

On the fenders there should be 3 holes about 10cm from the front edge:

Does the left fender have holes for the blackout light bracket?

I can't tell you when the hood hinge or frame reinforcement straps were changed, but you can have a look if you can find the original primer paint. Zinc-chromate over black under the original OD is also an indicator for early production.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:35 am

Daddyo, do you plan to restore this or sell on as is ?

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks David, I'll check those features out. Mark, I was originally going to sell it. But as all my vehicles do, its growing on me. I figure this is probably the one chance in my lifetime to own a slattie, do im leaning towards keeping it. Ive just got a lot of research to do beforr i make a final call. So i thought i had figured out how to post pics from my phone but evidently not. I uploaded them to a member profile (that compressed it) but still cant get the pic on the thread. Any tips?

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 am

Daddyo, im not too hot on computers, i sometimes cheat and get my daughter to post for me. The ones i have put on here do come out a bit small. As for the Slattie, look upon it as an investment, and if you restore it you will get all the help, tips and advice you need on this site. Oh, keep posting pictures of your progress (if you can). :D :D

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:08 pm

I host any image on https://postimage.io/ and put it in a message here by copying the code they give you after uploading it there and then pasting it between [img]and[/img] (no spaces).

Daddyo4
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Daddyo4 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Fenders check out good, still have the air deflectors on em. Hood doesnt seem to be original. As mentioned, it has the 11 pc hinge, and the air deflector holes are dimpled but have never been drilled. Windshield latches appear to be steel, not brass but havent gotten thar far yet. Transfer case shift knobs are white (but not aluminum), seems like i read something about white shift knobs? Pancake air filter is gone. Has brass throttle/choke knobs, 2 pc toolbox hinges, and round clutch/ square brake petals. It does have a torque reaction spring, but looks like its had some leaf spring mods at some point. The left fender has several holes. I'll seek out some pics to see how the blackout light mounted. Thanks for your interest and help, guys.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 am

Daddyo, i have just noticed a Slat Grille come up for sale on an English website, its immaculate, and they are asking £34500, thats about $40000. As i said with what you have, good investment ? Bear in mind, the European prices are higher than in the U.S.A.

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”