Head bolts

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
JeePa
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Head bolts

Post by JeePa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 am

Looking forward to getting engine rebuild done and I came up with a question I could use guidance on.
The cyclinder head bolts are being replaced, and considering the original configuration with bolts and studs,
and and considering risk of thread tear out in the block, would using the studs be wiser? The oil filter and ground strap attachments notwithstanding and the possibility of head removal in future (I pray to the Jeep gods not!) it would seem not using the bolts an inprovement. I understand the later L134 Production did away with bolts and went with studs for cylinder head attachment. Any higher risk of head gasket failure with the studs?
Thanks for your feedback.
Regards, JeePa

Ladislav
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Head bolts

Post by Ladislav » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi,
I don't use on my MA engines bolts any more, only studs. The engine block is the weakest part on engine, there are some threads not any more in 100% condition etc...
To ensure long life of block/engine, use only studs in corret lengths. And be carefull which studs you will use, there are lot of Crimp One Off on market.

Lad.

JeePa
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by JeePa » Mon May 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks Ladislav! My engine builder feels the same way. He seals the studs. He feels he gets better torque control with less distortion and that the head gasket factor is dependent on the quality of the sealant and gasket itself. We shall see.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon May 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Your man is right.
All studs is the way to go & this adaption late war stopped many blown head gaskets over the years.
Just ensure you get the best quality studs.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”