Recent Purchase - '41 Slat

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
parcours
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Recent Purchase - '41 Slat

Post by parcours » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:39 pm

OK guys, here are a few pics. Just picked her up over the weekend. Working out a few minor issues, but other than that drives great.

Here's what I know:

Ron rebuilt the motor, transmission/transfer case.

Axles, steering box and misc hardware was rebuilt by a local shop.Steering is nice and tight, does not wonder and stops straight :D

Wiring is from Ron

Missing a few minor parts, like the felt around the radiator.

Incorrect Speedo, muffler, exhaust manifold. Air cleaner has been retrofitted with paper element (Nice, I like it).

It leaks..... :lol: :lol:

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Gary C V
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Recent Purchase - '41 Slat

Post by Gary C V » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi Parcours,

Very nice , just one question photo 2nd from bottom there is a black substance running down from the radiator hose and the thermostat housing, what is it ?.

Cheers Gary

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:28 am

Gary C V wrote:Hi Parcours,

Very nice , just one question photo 2nd from bottom there is a black substance running down from the radiator hose and the thermostat housing, what is it ?.

Cheers Gary
Gary, I had the same question. Not only is that around the thermostat housing, it's also at all the hose connections and at the base of thermostat housing.

I'm thinking it's sealant. It's dry, and not sticky. Maybe gasket maker?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slatgrille
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by slatgrille » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 am

Nice jeep! Why does it have a B.O. Drive switch with no B.O. Drive light? Just curious....

Craig

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by macaddict23 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:51 am

Nice Jeep. It looks like a postwar engine.
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:15 am

Post war engine is correct. The guy put in a Ron engine, not a correct slat engine.

It has the B.O. Light switch, but he didn't install one. I don't think Slats came with B.O. lights. I'll need to check.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

James Gordon
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by James Gordon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:51 am

You are very fortunate, great find, there is one issue I wish to point out. You need to put a little no a lot of off road dust on those tires and the rear of the canvas top. (Slat 12-31-41) Have Fun :mrgreen:

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:54 pm

James Gordon wrote: there is one issue I wish to point out. You need to put a little no a lot of off road dust on those tires and the rear of the canvas top. (Slat 12-31-41) Have Fun :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree!

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:57 pm

They welded up the holes for your side curtain fasteners? What's your body number? My Jan '42 Slat's body number is 15203 and I'm trying to narrow a DoD for her. What's your frame number?

Nice looking jeep...you won't have to do much! How did they retro fit your air cleaner?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Jim M
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Jim M » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Michael O. wrote:They welded up the holes for your side curtain fasteners? What's your body number? My Jan '42 Slat's body number is 15203 and I'm trying to narrow a DoD for her. What's your frame number?

Nice looking jeep...you won't have to do much! How did they retro fit your air cleaner?
Body might be reproduction.
Jim Mulligan

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Jim M wrote:
Michael O. wrote:They welded up the holes for your side curtain fasteners? What's your body number? My Jan '42 Slat's body number is 15203 and I'm trying to narrow a DoD for her. What's your frame number?

Body might be reproduction.
Correct, body is MD Juan. Confirmed that with the gentlemen I purchased it from. One nice thing, no rust....

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Michael, it's an MD Juan Tub... No number.

The air cleaner drops out the bottom. It's a Fram paper element held in place by the wing nut atop the housing. On the rear of the housing is a mesh opening where the actual air intake is. Works really well and beats the heck out of messing with oil bath. I'll probably end up converting my other NOM MB to the same type of paper element.

Mess with the carb today... Trying to find that sweet spot... It's tough trying to get the right combination of idle mixture, choke and running.... I'm getting close but still dealing with a little blubbery on initial take off.

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:40 am

parcours wrote: It has the B.O. Light switch, but he didn't install one. I don't think Slats came with B.O. lights. I'll need to check.
Not from the factory, but quite a lot did receive them later. There is an official workorder for this, complete with lists of hoodnumbers of vehicles that were to be retrofitted with that BODL. The list is on the forum somewhere. The retro BODL kit had a tombstone-shaped bracket (standard model is horseshoe-shaped) that can be a bit hard to find.

I have body number 13772 on MBII0247, d.o.d. january 8, 1942. The body is original to the frame.

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 am

Beautiful jeep Parcours, it's just making itself home by marking its territory!
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

parcours

Post by parcours » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 am

Boyso wrote:Beautiful jeep Parcours, it's just making itself home by marking its territory!

LOL.. Yeah it leaks a lot. Going to change the gear oils and use that wrenching time to go through all the bolts in the trans/Transfer case.

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”