Help - Theft proofing a '41 Slat

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Help - Theft proofing a '41 Slat

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:01 am

The kids out on a ride may decide to take it and go off-roading and as noted, they probably don't know what a clutch is, let alone a starter switch so they aren't the problem. Besides, unless they decide to roll it off a cliff they'll get stuck somewhere and abandon it. It is the guys who know enough about a jeep to steal yours and strip it down for sale on Ebay you need to worry about. They know how easy it is to take them apart and aside from the engine/data plate and frame...there are no numbers to worry about tracing it to them.

You have to slow 'em down or fix it so they can't drive/tow it away while it is out of your line of site....so if you are in a restaurant or gas station it takes them longer than you are away to snatch it. a simple toggle switch under the dash near the glove box that the ignition-to-coil wire passes through will mean they won't be driving it off...and they can't see you hit the "Kill Switch" either. Messing with the cap or the rotor or chains or whatever will also slow them down but it will slow you down also and pretty soon you will not bother with them because "I'll only be in there a minute!".
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

brucemb
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by brucemb » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 pm

A bit surprised, but I didn't notice anyone mention in this thread that a 41 Slat should have a H700 keyed ignition switch to be correct and original. Maybe that would be the desired deterrent for the request and alleviate the lever switch concern?

Bruce
100018 1941 MB

parcours
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by parcours » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:44 am

brucemb wrote:A bit surprised, but I didn't notice anyone mention in this thread that a 41 Slat should have a H700 keyed ignition switch to be correct and original. Maybe that would be the desired deterrent for the request and alleviate the lever switch concern?

Bruce
Bruce, is the H700 key the way Willys delivered it? I have no ptoblem changing the toggle to an H700.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brucemb
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by brucemb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:47 am

Yes, the H700 keyed switch made by HA Douglas co is the correct switch for the early slat and was delivered that way. That's what was in mine and it was original to the jeep. I believe they are hard to find (see related thread on slat forum dated 27 April 2015). May have to get a repo until an original is found.
100018 1941 MB

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 pm

brucemb wrote:Yes, the H700 keyed switch made by HA Douglas co is the correct switch for the early slat and was delivered that way. That's what was in mine and it was original to the jeep. I believe they are hard to find (see related thread on slat forum dated 27 April 2015). May have to get a repo until an original is found.

I've got a couple of H700 keys for the rear locker compartments. More than likely I'll change out the ignition switch.

Thanks!

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 am

Get Hagerty's
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

parcours

Post by parcours » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:37 pm

DavidA wrote:Get Hagerty's
Lol.... I already have it insured.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Dave and Chuck know I used a Sadie Dog to watch my MZ-1 until she passed. Here she is at the Post Office.

75 pounds of vicious three legged dog is an option! :wink: :wink:

Both should also remember this little gizmo:

Our friend Paulie made this little lock bracket that fit next to the circuit breaker support at the dash. Put the shifter in second and padlock it!

It is a visual deterrent as just like any lock, it just takes time to break.

Another option mentioned is a GPS tracker. For less than $100 you can use a small portable tracker that will allow you to track anything from a purse to a tank.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/categ ... devices.do

You can hide a smart phone while you are out and track it... I have done this in a mall where I forgot which way my wife went. :shock:
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

parcours

Post by parcours » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm

Mark, I like the gizmo...

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get one?

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:00 am

parcours wrote:Mark, I like the gizmo...

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get one?
I would start with the local animal shelter. :)

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:25 am

Parcours,
Great looking Slat,do you know which paint she wears?
Ralph

Cal.Bar

Post by Cal.Bar » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:The kids out on a ride may decide to take it and go off-roading and as noted, they probably don't know what a clutch is, let alone a starter switch so they aren't the problem. Besides, unless they decide to roll it off a cliff they'll get stuck somewhere and abandon it. It is the guys who know enough about a jeep to steal yours and strip it down for sale on Ebay you need to worry about. They know how easy it is to take them apart and aside from the engine/data plate and frame...there are no numbers to worry about tracing it to them.

You have to slow 'em down or fix it so they can't drive/tow it away while it is out of your line of site....so if you are in a restaurant or gas station it takes them longer than you are away to snatch it. a simple toggle switch under the dash near the glove box that the ignition-to-coil wire passes through will mean they won't be driving it off...and they can't see you hit the "Kill Switch" either. Messing with the cap or the rotor or chains or whatever will also slow them down but it will slow you down also and pretty soon you will not bother with them because "I'll only be in there a minute!".
Perhaps a bit flippant, but still true nonetheless, remember that any "kids" who would be up for steeling a jeep (say 18 to 24) would have been born in the 1990's and would likely never have SEEN a stick shift vehicle, and even if they have, they likely can't DRIVE a stick shift, and even if they COULD, the Jeep's upside down shifting system would likely scare the hell out of them.

parcours

Post by parcours » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Ralph wrote:Parcours,
Great looking Slat,do you know which paint she wears?
Yes, 33070 OG Green.

Ted Schacher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ted Schacher » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks Bruce,
I was beginning to wonder if anybody was going to mention a stock ignition switch. Mine has one that I was told was original, but I was starting to have doubts
when no one brought it up. My 44 has the little lever and I think it is correct for a late 44 Jeep. I'm sure someone will let me know if it's not.
Thanks again.

Ted Schacher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ted Schacher » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Nice Jeep by the way.
I hope you get a chance to post a few more pictures.
You will probably want to change out that oval muffler though.

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”