Electroytic method Removing Rust from iron

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Jim Gordon
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Electroytic method Removing Rust from iron

Post by Jim Gordon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Question: Will the electrolytic, washing soda technique remove the tin plating on iron parts? I have had good luck removing rust from iron with electrolytic method, but not sure if it will remove galvanize or tin plating that I do not wish to remove.

Viking27
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Electroytic method Removing Rust from iron

Post by Viking27 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:55 am

Hello,

I am not sure about the answer, but do the chrome plating guys not use a similar method to "de-chrome" parts before they apply the brass
layer? Sounds to me like that process can strip off plating, so why not tin? Why don't you just test it. Take a rusted metal part, clean a small
spot to bare metal. Apply tin and then test. I would be interested in seeing the results.

Reg

Hinrik
Hinrik Steinsson
Ford GP 9519
Proud member of 50 Shades of Green group

Jim Gordon

Post by Jim Gordon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 am

Viking
You are so correct about testing. No sooner than I posted my question I wondered why I didn't take a piece of tin can and toss it into the bath and observer the results. Will do and report. I think you are correct, I know the process removes paint but not sure about a plated metal such as tin. J.

Jim Gordon

Post by Jim Gordon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 pm

It is too cold for using the electrolytic method of rust removal, so I tried one part Molasses to 10 parts water and added both rusty tin and galvanize plated items. Could not wished for better results, in my experience the tin and galvanize plating was not effected but it certainly removed surface rust and deep pitted rust. Now I have a surface ready for re-tinning. Apparently this is a widely used technique. :D
Jim

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”