Battery is not being charged MB 1941

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Jim Gordon
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Battery is not being charged MB 1941

Post by Jim Gordon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 pm

It appears that the battery is not being charged. Amp meter does not move when a load is added, nor does it indicate a charge when the engine RPM is increased. Generator completely rebuilt within a year, and has functioned with full output. Battery is new. Wiring, starter switch etc all new. Regulator has been a problem in the past and has responded to a few corrective raps to the cover (probably all original parts). I cleaned the points with a clean metal point file, and no change. The slat manual check procedure is to use a jumper wire between field and armature terminals (I ASSUME THAT IS THE REGULATOR TERMINALS, ANY CHANCE FOR DAMAGE???)

The points on the reg. look good and seems correct clearance.

The points on the "current limiting regulator" seems to be adjusted closed or very near closed.

I did not confirmed that the generator has a good output

Suggestions Jim :?

Brandon

Re: Battery is not being charged MB 1941

Post by Brandon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:24 am

Jim,

I would look at the generator output first with a volt meter. Run the jeep at mid RPM and see if the generator is actually charging. If it is charging then I would trouble shoot that regulator. Let us know and we can go from there.

Brandon
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill 114640
1952 Strick M-100 Trailer
1958 Dodge M37B1 L245-1196
http://www.g503.com/serial-numbers/view ... rd_id=3821

artificer
banned

Re: Battery is not being charged MB 1941

Post by artificer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Make sure battery terminals are clean....corrosion is not always evident.
Not a great idea using a metal points file to clean up CVR points.... use glass or sand paper.
Hook a voltmeter [auto multimeter] to the positive & negative battery terminals.
Should read just over 6V engine not running or @ idle then rev engine & reading should go to about 7.4V @ around 1000 rpm. [12V just increase numbers proportionally].
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”