Early '42 Canadian Contract MB

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Leigh_J
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: Early '42 Canadian Contract MB

Post by Leigh_J » Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Eric B wrote:Do you know the history of yours? How it came to NZ, the engine, body number, date of delivery etc?
Unfortunately there are no data plates, I only have the frame number 118729 and a few spare MB & GPW engines of later numbers, body tub 20703. DoD I estimate to be approx 12/2/42

I speculate that it was a Canadian contract Jeep that went to Britain (as a CKD?), I also have a full British army winter canopy set for it! I just wish I knew more of the history on it.
Last edited by Leigh_J on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh

New Zealand

1942 Willys MB CDLV-242

Eric B
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Eric B » Tue May 03, 2011 6:15 am

Hello Luigi

Your MB is definetly a Canadian Contract. Yes as you indicated the holes on the left of the dash are for the axle and stop light switches and plate. Sometimes in the field a switch was also added to the dash for the wiper motor. The fender lights look like they are CJ signal lights so these would have been added after the fact. If your black out marker lights were moved to those locations it would indicate that the British might have also used the jeep at some point during the war.

Leigh your frame number is that of the Canadian Contract as well. Contract 241or 242. Since it was in the UK it would most likley be 242 as that is the contract which was shipped over to the UK. The earliest date i have is 12 Feb 1942 for frame number 118760.

Proper CDN Contract 242 replacement data plates are available from Dirk Leegwater(lwdparts.com) and mvdataplates (mvdataplates.com)

Dirk also has some of the hard to find wiper parts but not the wiper motor itself. He also has the pass plates, switches and headlight guards.

A fellow Canadian Marc Belanger has made up the switch plate, which he has for sale.

Repro tie down rings are available but i am not sure who is now selling them, as are bridge plates, usually available in the UK.

Canada did not keep files on vehicles and the War Department number was assigned at the time the vehicle was assigned to the unit, therefore they do not have any particular order compared to the vehicle serial number.

When it comes time for markings (or camouflage) let me know as i can also help you in this area.

If you sand down the sides of the hood there still might be the CND WD number present unless the hood was exchanged in a rebuild. The same goes for the windshield as Unit and Div markings were on each edge.It could have been used by British forces after the war as we left many in the UK. These would have been issued a post war British number, which files are present somewhere in one of the Regimental museums.But you need a researcher to look it up for you at a cost.

If you give me the Engine numbers i can look up in my files to see if these might have been used by the CDN's as well. My GPW engine came out of a contract 505 MB.

Luigi your vehicle has come a long way from the first photos, looks great. To bad i will not be in your part of Italy later this year to see it close up.

Eric
Attachments
MB_W-LU_Axle_Brake_Lamp_Dash_Plate[1].jpg
axle brake light switches and plate
MB_W-LU_Axle_Brake_Lamp_Dash_Plate[1].jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
cdn-manual2.jpg
Canadian Manual
cdn-manual2.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
jeep_2.jpg
Assembly in the UK
jeep_2.jpg (23.75 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Looking for Canadian WW2 Jeep and Trailer Serial Numbers as well as other data.
Thanks

Eric B
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Eric B » Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 am

Leigh

I also forgot to mention, if you wish to make your own headlight guard the plans for them are on this site under Jeep Draw.

Depending on the theater you wish to depict we did have RCAF vehicles in the Far East.

If you have no need for the winter enclosure, depending on the condition you might also have a buyer here in the north :)

Service Publications (servicepub.com) also has for sale my book on the WW2 Jeep in Canadian Service. I am still working on the more in depth vesion and am always looking for more information to include.

thanks

Eric
Attachments
jeep%20cover2 22.jpg
WW2 Jeep in Canadian Service
jeep%20cover2 22.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Looking for Canadian WW2 Jeep and Trailer Serial Numbers as well as other data.
Thanks

jeepmb
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jeepmb » Wed May 04, 2011 8:25 am

Hello Eric,

thanks so much for your info and feedback.

Probably the hole on the top left side of the dash side was dedicated to the wiper motor but I chosen to use it as location for the signals switch.

Now the status of the slat is this one; yesterday I placed the rear seat and during the weekend I'll try to fix the hood.....

I hope to start the test drive of the slat during this summer.....

I'm also sorry that you will not be in north western part of Italy to take a look to the slat....!! :(

Best Regards,

Luigi

Gibbo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Gibbo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 am

As I read on standardized war time jeep canadians where the first to add a rounded fuel tank sump....I may be wrong but if you buy that book it will tell u everything on your jeep 118... should be early 42 but the book tels u even if it was a chinese contract! I strogly suggest it

Scott Douglas
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Scott Douglas » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 am

One thing you HAVE TO REMEMBER, these vehicle were made during wartime and there was NO EXACT ONE COLOR these were painted.There was a color range guideline that the paint was made to. In other words a range of tints or hue range and not just one shade. There are a lot of guys on here that will argue this but I have been in the antique and restoration business for over thirty years and a lot of the stuff I have worked on is from this time in history. To have one shade of a color or one tint of a color during wartime production is just not a realistic expectation for this time in history. I know I will get a lot of flack on this but if you think about it, you know that there is a lot more logic to my words than not. Good luck, Scott
1942 GPW 12798
1943 MZ 270679 Navy Radio Jeep
1942 GPW 58369
1944 GPW 239979
1945 1/4 ton Bantam 67950
1945 1/4 ton Bantam 72031
Various parts MB`s and GPW`s

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 am

Very well put Scott, never a more correct word written.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”