SF Runningboards

1985 - Present, Wanted vehicles or parts, list your needs.

Moderators: Kurt Lesser, Moderator

SF Runningboards

Postby siberian » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Gentlemen, looking for a set of SF Running boards to provide a bit of protection from the tourists. I would like to find a set like these:

Image
85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon
User avatar
siberian
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 pm
Location: Great Smoky Mtns.

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby TheHummerguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Those are actually rocker panel/jacking plates reversed, the one you see in the pic on the left side actually goes on the right side and vice versa....somewhat ingenius though. One of the trucks in my shops has those exact models but they are being used as they were intended.....as a outer rocker panel protection and side jacking reinforcement for a Hi-Lift Jack.
Retired War Horses Restoration
1998 TD Wagon
1987 M998
1985 M998
1985 M1035
1984 M923 AM General (FOR SALE)
1968 M274A2 MULE FOR SALE
1989 M101A2 Trailer




Image
User avatar
TheHummerguy
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:45 am
Location: Northern Calif

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby siberian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 am

That's interesting. Now that you pointed it out, it's a clear adaptation. They may not be so hard to find after all. My motive for using them was purely a body panel self-defense mechanism.
85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon
User avatar
siberian
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 pm
Location: Great Smoky Mtns.

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby unclesamsurplus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 pm

you can build a set. are they steel or aluminum?
User avatar
unclesamsurplus
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: mississippi

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby icentropy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Not to hijack, but what kind of seat is that?
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM
User avatar
icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Chesaw, WA

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby TheHummerguy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:15 pm

That's the armored seat they put in gmv's
Retired War Horses Restoration
1998 TD Wagon
1987 M998
1985 M998
1985 M1035
1984 M923 AM General (FOR SALE)
1968 M274A2 MULE FOR SALE
1989 M101A2 Trailer




Image
User avatar
TheHummerguy
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:45 am
Location: Northern Calif

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby ragman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 am

Does anybody know who makes the rear cargo rails? If Miltary Systems Group makes those they sure aren't touting them on their website.
ragman
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:48 am
Location: Sharon Center, Ohio

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby Pablo66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread... Are these rocker panel protectors / jacking plates readily accessible? Or would I be better off fabricating them myself? (Tricky question - am I a good fabricator with all the necessary tools? No, I am not, but these do look pretty simple.)

Do they just bolt through the rocker panel? Or are there other brackets/mounting points?

Thank you for the help,
Paul D
1987 1038 WIP
Having fun, faking it till I make it! (Or break it)
Pablo66
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby Urban Camo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 pm

The jack rails made by MSG have 3 pins on the outsides of them to be able to attach the removable side steps and ammo can holders.
I'm not sure what they did with them on the pictured rails if those were made by MSG.
I couldn't find the jack rails for sale.
I'm thinking about just making some.
I do have a set of civilian aluminum skid plates that basically have that contour to them but extend all the way under to the frame rail.
I'm thinking about cutting them up and just keeping the piece that wraps around the outer edge.
I have a set of the aluminum armor that was used awhile back but didn't seem to be very effective and was later scrapped and upgraded with actual steel armor plate.
That aluminum armor used a set of backing plates that went inside along the body under the doors. I was planning on using the interior backing plates to help stiffen up mounting .
There is somebody selling the removable steps that are made out of extruded metal.

Not sure if that help any . I guess I'm sort of waiting hoping some of the jack rails become available before I have to make something or hack up what I have.
Urban Camo
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: So.Cal

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby icentropy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 pm

I looked up the rails made by MSG, they seems very simple. Could be fabbed up pretty quickly. Are the ones on this truck installed backwards or is it just me? I'd make up a set of these and trade you for your aluminum RPPs :D those are handy on civy trucks.
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM
User avatar
icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Chesaw, WA

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby Pablo66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Yes, that helps!
Thank you. I've seen the SF steps for sale, but I'm just looking for rocker protection and something to support a hi-lift.

On the one hand, having a skid plate going to the frame rail would be great to have, but the extra weight would kind of be a bummer... The previous owners stripped off all the extra weight, including ALL the skid plates, so I'm starting from scratch protection-wise.

My truck was a test mule for a flight module for early predator drones, before they decided to put all the "pilots" in a warehouse in the desert. They took off all the extra weight they could, and installed remote reservoir shocks.
1987 1038 WIP
Having fun, faking it till I make it! (Or break it)
Pablo66
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby icentropy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Pablo66 wrote:Yes, that helps!
Thank you. I've seen the SF steps for sale, but I'm just looking for rocker protection and something to support a hi-lift.

On the one hand, having a skid plate going to the frame rail would be great to have, but the extra weight would kind of be a bummer... The previous owners stripped off all the extra weight, including ALL the skid plates, so I'm starting from scratch protection-wise.

My truck was a test mule for a flight module for early predator drones, before they decided to put all the "pilots" in a warehouse in the desert. They took off all the extra weight they could, and installed remote reservoir shocks.

Your truck sounds very interesting, I've made full RPPs before out of aluminum for Hummers, they turned out to be 40lbs each side but were very very strong. Overkill really. I think the factory RPPs are great but they require the underboddy mounting brackets that I didn't think HMMWVs had. These just bolt right through the rocker panels with little backing plates. MSG says 75lbs each side which means they're def made out of steel. Don't see the reason for steel. Lot of extra weight and as a jack reinforcement, a .25" tempered aluminum rail would work just fine without adding much weight. (less than half i'm sure)
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM
User avatar
icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Chesaw, WA

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby Pablo66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:45 pm

icentropy wrote:Your truck sounds very interesting, I've made full RPPs before out of aluminum for Hummers, they turned out to be 40lbs each side but were very very strong. Overkill really. I think the factory RPPs are great but they require the underboddy mounting brackets that I didn't think HMMWVs had. These just bolt right through the rocker panels with little backing plates. MSG says 75lbs each side which means they're def made out of steel. Don't see the reason for steel. Lot of extra weight and as a jack reinforcement, a .25" tempered aluminum rail would work just fine without adding much weight. (less than half i'm sure)


Yes, the truck's history is pretty interesting. My brother works for the company.

I really like the idea of aluminum RPPs. What size L channel would you recommend?

Btw, I was just checking out your websites... Cool stuff!
1987 1038 WIP
Having fun, faking it till I make it! (Or break it)
Pablo66
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby Urban Camo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm

"Are the ones on this truck installed backwards or is it just me? " It's just you!!
No there mounted backwards. The right side is bolted to the left side and the left to the right side.
I saw that picture a while back. I wish MSG would answer there phone or even reply to an email now and again. But then I guess at what they get for stuff they don't need to sell much of it.
I have the part #'s around somewhere for the civi mounting brackets .
Urban Camo
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: So.Cal

Re: SF Runningboards

Postby icentropy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Pablo66 wrote:
icentropy wrote:Your truck sounds very interesting, I've made full RPPs before out of aluminum for Hummers, they turned out to be 40lbs each side but were very very strong. Overkill really. I think the factory RPPs are great but they require the underboddy mounting brackets that I didn't think HMMWVs had. These just bolt right through the rocker panels with little backing plates. MSG says 75lbs each side which means they're def made out of steel. Don't see the reason for steel. Lot of extra weight and as a jack reinforcement, a .25" tempered aluminum rail would work just fine without adding much weight. (less than half i'm sure)


Yes, the truck's history is pretty interesting. My brother works for the company.

I really like the idea of aluminum RPPs. What size L channel would you recommend?

Btw, I was just checking out your websites... Cool stuff!


Stock RPP height is 5.25" From a cost standpoint i'd suggest a standard 6061-T6 L extruded bar. .25" thick should be plenty for what it's for. If you want to use them flipped around as steps the typical step width on Hummer RPPs is 4".

Thanks, I enjoy making goodies for these trucks.
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM
User avatar
icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Chesaw, WA

Next

Return to Humvee Wanted

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests