high back seats pop quiz !

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

mak
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

high back seats pop quiz !

Post by mak » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Ok this is my first attempt at photos so here go's

So you are at a military show and you think you find those high back seats that you need for your 1986 humvee,or have you ! can you identify what we have here guys ? Ive come up with some id's maybe

seat 1 below. A2 driver seat ,a safe upgrade and I believe you need a floor reinforcing kit to brace up your truck

seat 2 below ,my guess this seems to be an A2 passenger,its too big for the old style back store boxes.I have a few,they are all the same and have battery below plates on top.The base is about the same size as the old style fibreglass unit but its just sheet alloy.

seat 3 below .This is a Trail Boss seat,serial number comes up as a 10 ton hemtt seat so probably best not fitted to your humvee to avoid disapointment.It looks nearly right though

seat 4 below .Passenger side rear.This looks like a factory upgrade base part no 12446967 ,it clips right on were the old seat was.Nicer to use than just drilling holes in the old style alloy store bin tops and bolting a random A2 seat on top.[Like my driver side rear is :@[

seat 5 below ,One theory is ,these are A2 rears ,it seems sad to loose the old style storebins as the box below this seat seems pretty inferior

seat 6 below ,another variant but with a detachable cushion.Removable in emergencies maybe for non lethal crowd control situations,up close and personal !

seat 7 below ,front passenger,just interesting as some others do not have the rivet on reinforcing plates

I picked these up for about $20 each ,as much for reference and spare parts as anything.Some are actually in mostly better shape than my lousy photography shows.These were not from Austin /beltfed but for a good clean correct set for your truck hes seems the way ahead.

Last edited by mak on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

High backs

Post by Kurt Lesser » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:59 pm

What you have here are HMMWV seats. There are a few other trucks out there that use a similar seat but the bases are different.

When posting pictures, resize them in your photo program and they'll load much faster. If someone needs more resolution they can send you en email or PM and ask. try to keep them under 100K.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

unclesamsurplus
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by unclesamsurplus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:51 pm

hi mac,
i agree with kurt. they're all hmmwv A2 high back seats with different style bases. seat base #1 looks like left front, seat base #2 looks like left rear, seat base #3 is unknown to me, seat base #4 looks like right rear, seat base #5 and 6 are unknown to me and seat base #7 looks like right front. the condition of the seats appears to be less than perfect. what kind of money did you give for the 7 seats?
i bought a set of 4 awhile back from austin for around $300. with all the correct bases, stiffners, and drivers pedestal. they were in excellent condition with no fading, tears, or rips. i believe that's less than what an upholstery shop would charge to redo a set.

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

high back seats pop quiz

Post by dilvoy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi Mak, seats 4 and 5 are from an armored vehicle. The bends in the brackets are there to absorb a blast from below. Bend instead of pass along the force like straight brackets might. Some aircraft have their seat bases designed like this incase off crash landings. OOPS, I ment to say seats 5 and 6.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: high back seats pop quiz

Post by dunsbr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:01 pm

dilvoy wrote:Hi Mak, seats 4 and 5 are from an armored vehicle. The bends in the brackets are there to absorb a blast from below. Bend instead of pass along the force like straight brackets might. Some aircraft have their seat bases designed like this incase off crash landings. OOPS, I ment to say seats 5 and 6.
Hi Mak,

As usual, George is correctt.

If you check the M1114 TM's youwill see those seat bases in there for the rear seats.

Nice find!
Can we get som more pics of these "for the records"?

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”