Military Radios Used In Humvees

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

doctoroctos
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by doctoroctos » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:48 pm

I was reading through some of the military preventitive comics/manuals. They are using a bose radio headset for in vehicle communication that is supposed to have noise cancelling. Does anyone know what model and where to get one of those?

That would be pretty sweet to get a set of those for the longer trips.

Daniel

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

military radios used in Humvees

Post by dilvoy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 pm

I have some headsets made by a company called David Clark. They make headsets for all sorts of uses. Good quality but the good ones are not cheap. I use mine when flying. Whichever headsets you get, be shure to get ones that have or can have Gel instead of foam inside the ear seals. It's way more comfortable.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

ArtC
USAF E-7 MSgt
USAF E-7 MSgt

SINCGARS

Post by ArtC » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:55 am

A little education on the SINCGARS and Encryption...

The radio has embedded encryption to eliminate the need for the KY-57 that was used with the PRC-77 and RT 524s.

The embedded encryption and the particular key used encrypts the transmission for the period of time that is assigned for that particular key; i.e. daily, weekly, quarterly ect.

The SINCGARS also has a frequency hopping (FH) mode for ECCM use. Electronic Counter Counter Measures. The radio transmits for micro or nano seconds on the various frequencies programed in the the FH setting for again the day, week ect. This eliminated the radio from being jammed.

This is all determined by the Signal Officer or Operation Plan.

Frequencies are assigned to particular regions to not obstruct commercial and other transmission requirements.

As someone stated before, someone could capture a radio that was loaded with the loaded key, but as soon as it was determined compromised a new key would be loaded and that one would be emergency superceded.

So rest assure they have not figured out our encryption, but I'll bet the NSA has broke theirs...
Art C
Central Illinois

47 CJ2A Parts Jeep
48 CJ2A Project
48 CJ2A 20K Original Miles
53 M38A1 Project
M-416 Trailer

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

SINCGARS

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:39 pm

ArtC,

Nice to see someone else radio knowledgable on the site. I've been running a Sincgars RT1439 in my vehicle for years and the reason I chose it is that this variant of the Sincgars family doesn't have the embedded encryption capability. It will frequency hop but without the KYK-13 or CYZ-10 keyloaders and their loader I've never tried it. Single channel works fine and it's the only way to talk to the VRC-12s that everyone else has.

I figured if I stayed away from Comsec it might eliminate any problems with commo people. Of course they'd have to know the 1439 didn't have cypto too.
Last edited by Kurt Lesser on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

ArtC
USAF E-7 MSgt
USAF E-7 MSgt

Post by ArtC » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:44 pm

Kurt,

You could not use a KYK-13 to load the FH keysets as it does not support the required storage or the mode in which to load it. You would need an MX-18290. The KYK would load the FM encryption key if it were an embedded type.

If you got your hands on a Crazy 10, I would be hunting down the guy that sold it to you for pulling a John Walker.

The RT1439 where used by non mil government agencies and probably also sold to some of our allies. The COMSEC Radios -RT1523 probably have export restrictions on the CCI and I believe are illegal to own.

We hardly use the PRC-119s anymore...The PRC-117 with SATCOM is the radio of choice for our unit.
Art C
Central Illinois

47 CJ2A Parts Jeep
48 CJ2A Project
48 CJ2A 20K Original Miles
53 M38A1 Project
M-416 Trailer

ReconHumvee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Post by ReconHumvee » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 am

I have the RT524 mounted in my humvee and it works. As for reception, I live in the Bay area north of SF but driving to work and flipping switches I picked up Taxi driver in San Francisco, additionally along with TV stations I also picked up CHP Golden Gate Division. Transmitting, my wife acknowledged that she picked me up on the TV in the house but I was parked right there. Nothing else. I believe Kurt told me in the past that the transmission is limited and you could almost get better transmission from a Motorola Handheld radio. Would love to have comm. but not at the expense of a FCC fine. Course if I were stranded what the hell might as well get help if you don't have your cell. Semper Fi

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”