where to buy a new control box? KASCAR?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

unclesamsurplus
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by unclesamsurplus » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:01 pm

awhile back the KDS control box went out in my 1986 M998. the glow plug wait light just blips for a 1/2 sec when i turn the key. i replaced the intake sensor and checked my ground with a set of jumper cables and again with an electrical tester. the ground was good. i pulled a glow plug and it does not warm up. i live in south mississippi so it has not been a big issue due to our warm climate. however the past few weeks the temp. has dropped to around 50°F at night and in the morning it will not start. i don't want to burn up the starter trying so i have to crank up the harley and ride the bike. if i plug the block heater into 110v all night it fires right up in the morning which is what i've been doing but i really need to get the glow plugs working again. i guess i need a control box?
the guy i bought it from 9 months ago said the glow plugs and control box where replaced 4 years ago. there is a kds green label control box under the dash and it is getting power. is kascar the place to get a new control box or could it be something else?

Gadget
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
Post by Gadget » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Watch Ebay they come avail often. I'd wait before taking the two should hold from Kascar

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:09 am

Gadgets Right Uncle Sam.

they come up all the time on ebay.

I have a spare I'd swap for a Jack cover though! :D :D :D

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:07 am

Hi,

I have several new control boxes available. I have the yellow label (with temp sender) and also the green label. I also have a few of the older Prestolite units available. If you are interested please let me know.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:36 am

Pull a couple plugs and check the resistance to see if they are still good. Their purpose is to warm the combustion chamber until the fuel can ignite itself. I think three of my original plugs were swollen causing hard starts like you mentioned.
I do not know off hand what the reading should be on the plugs.

Jason

kill
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Glow plugs

Post by kill » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:40 pm

Make sure it is not a glow plug controller before you buy a PCB, it would save you some money, i should have either if you are interested i also have a rotary switch if you want to change from the key start to a more military type.
The M998 King

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:48 pm

Yeah, if I recall correctly. unplugging the GPC wil cause the light to blink that way. I had the yellow label. Like kill said, try that first.

Jason

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 pm

UncleSam fitted a new KDS Green label to his truck and it fixed it up.
That's Not to say that the GPC wasn't the problem as the KDS Green ignores the GPC.
But now he doesn't need to worry about the GPC! :D

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,

craparo
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Post by craparo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:33 pm

Oh the KDS Green ignores the GPC? I didn't know this -- can I ask how come it ignores it? Wouldn't you want your glowplugs to operate properly or else you will be burning out starters?

I am not sure what the green label box exactly differs from the others so any info would be nice...

but either way a glowplug controller is like 15$
Need any HMMWV parts? (998, 1123, etc..) Let me know, I am parting mine out.

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:45 pm

craparo,

Heres the "guff' on the new EESS's that replaced the PCB:
(See Type B for the KDS Green)

HMMWV New EESS NIINs

The spares procurement for EESS has led to another change which I will commonly refer to as the One Piece Design. Because of the different configurations, we have established a generic NSN for EESS procurement purposes. The NSN is 6110-01-491-2158.

There will be three NSNs related to this generic NSN. They are as follows:

A. 6110-01-463-9260 - 2 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with yellow label and a temperature sensor with a yellow band. The temp sensor gets installed in the water crossover pipe.

B. 6110-01-491-2142 - 1 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with a bright green label. There is no longer a separate temperature sensor required with this configuration. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.

C. 6110-01-491-2152 - 1 piece design manufactured by Signal and Systems, Inc. (SSI). This configuration contains a black control box and there is no separate controller or temp sensor. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.

Any of the above NSNs can be ordered, you will get which ever is in stock.

There are NO Safety Issues related to these boxes/NSNs.

You should no longer get a blinking/flashing wait to start light when using the one piece design. The box should no longer go into default mode.

You no longer will need to troubleshoot the temp sensor/controller if you have the one piece design installed. However, be sure to keep the temp sensor/controller installed and connected.

Still need to make sure glow plugs are in good working condition - no need to automatically replace them, just check them.

Ensure that your connections to the body and engine side a good and tight.

The voltmeter will still fluctuate during after-glow activity.

Bottom line - the one-piece design is the same as two piece design except for the temperature sensor.

If you suspect a problem with the starting system (control box):

1. Check batteries

2. Check all 8 glow plugs

3. If Wait to Start Light does not come on, but you had voltage gauge activity - attempt to start vehicle. If no start, check fuel system.

4. If Wait To Start Light comes on and you have voltage gauge activity, and still get a no start - your control box should be functioning, problem may be fuel related - check fuel system.

5. If no Wait to Start Light, no glow plug activity and no vehicle start; and all 8 glow plugs are good, wait to start light is good and connections at the body and engine side are good and tight, batteries are good - replace control box.

If you have run across any other scenario's, please let me know.

I hope this information helps. If you need any further information, you know where to find me.

Jody McInerney

Sustainment Maintenance Manager

HMMWV Sustainment Team

DSN 786-2722

Commercial (810) 753-2722

Email: jody.mcinerney@us.army.
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026

craparo
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Post by craparo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:51 pm

Very interesting!!!

Thank you for this info and the NSN! Definitely could use this
Need any HMMWV parts? (998, 1123, etc..) Let me know, I am parting mine out.

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:09 pm

craparo,

I've save a lot of my miscellaneous humvee info (like this) in the Humvee section of the Hummer information database.
http://www.hummerinfodatabase.com/wiki/ ... gory:HMMWV

Check it out, you might find some other info to help you at work.

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026

unclesamsurplus

Post by unclesamsurplus » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:37 pm

after checking my connections and ground first i did actualy replace the GPC. that didn't work for me so i replaced the PCB and solved the problem.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”