Exhaust System M1026

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

George Stojkos
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Exhaust System M1026

Post by George Stojkos » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:40 am

Just removed exhaust manifolds for repairs and noticed that there are no brackets/support for the exhaust pipes till after the muffler. Should there be something around the transfer case/transmission area? All the weight seems to supported by the exhaust manifold flange which might be why its cracked. Brad, If your reading this I just thought I`d give you the weekend off and try the forum. Appreciate any help.

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 am

Hi George,

No rest for the wicked.
I've been doing some CARC painting and re wiring my R/T 524 radio install today.

Now to answer your question.
There is supposed to ba support on the side of the T/case.

It's basically a bit U bolt that goes through a piece of angle iron that mounts to a bracket on the top LHS of the T/Case.
Check out items 6, 12 and 20 in the attached image:

My guess is that item 6 and the U bolt will be missing on your truck, but 12 and 20 will be there.
You can buy a replacement item 6 at any truck exhaust place
(or I have a spare in my parts locker :D).

BTW The fact that this is missing will be why your Header cracked. :(

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

exhaust system M1025

Post by dilvoy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:22 am

While we're on the subject of headers, Does anyone know if there is anywhere to buy new Humvee headers and how much are they? Are the 6.2 and NA 6.5 Hummer headers the same?
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Ozhumvee
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ozhumvee » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:27 am

The cracking is usually caused by hitting the exhaust on something off road, which twists the system and cracks the manifolds, they are the lightest item in the system.
Make sure that you loosen all joins in the system ( Head/manifold, both manifold/pipe connections, muffler/pipe connection etc.)
Then tighten all the connections back up starting at the front and working back, the manifolds to the heads then pipes to manifolds, then muffler etc. This allows the exhaust to conform to the manifolds rather than vice versa.
Peter James
Sydney, Australia
RHD 1988 M1026
4speed, Aircon and CTIS!
Unfortunately has been sold!

Ozhumvee
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ozhumvee » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:38 am

The cracking is usually caused by hitting the exhaust on something off road, which twists the system and cracks the manifolds, they are the lightest item in the system.
Make sure that you loosen all joins in the system ( Head/manifold, both manifold/pipe connections, muffler/pipe connection etc.)
Then tighten all the connections back up starting at the front and working back, the manifolds to the heads then pipes to manifolds, then muffler etc. This allows the exhaust to conform to the manifolds rather than vice versa.
Peter James
Sydney, Australia
RHD 1988 M1026
4speed, Aircon and CTIS!
Unfortunately has been sold!

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”