replace tranny gasket or not?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

hummer4x4guy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

replace tranny gasket or not?

Post by hummer4x4guy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:58 am

Guys
I want your input on the following..
When I replace the filter in my tranny.. I have a new seal also BUT I have begun to come to the conclusion that if you use the correct sealant and tighten it correctly and torque it correctly you wont have any leaks anyways.
As I have come to remove permatex'ed parts and remove the old gasket..using the permatex gasket remover spray is awesome stuff..
Tho when trying to scrap off the original "paper/cork" style gasket its a pain...
So would anyone just say go 100% with the permatex sealer? If so should i go with non hardening or hardening?

I would think the hardening would be better myself since its not something I plan to take off again for a long while... lord willing
Thanks all
Joel
Joel
1987 2 door M998
2001 M1102

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 am

Joel
I allways use the gasket and a small film of Permatex to hold the gasket in place while putting the pan back on. I would NOT use just Permatex, Even a small amount that could get into your tranny will have disaterous results. There is a raised portion on the Tranny pan rim area that serves as a means to get a good seal on the Gasket. You do not need to torque the bolts past about 15ft lds if memory serves me correctly.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Permatex

Post by Kurt Lesser » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:33 am

Steve,

Be careful with the trans gaskets. Some of them are meant to be reusable and you don't want to put any sealant on them. The usually have "reusable" stamped into them somewhere. Where I do use Permatex I use the #2 which I think is the non-hardening version.

Most of the time I actually prefer to use aviation Permatex that comes in a small can with a brush in it to apply the stuff. I just hate wearing it to work for the next week and I've never found anything that takes it off well.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

hummer4x4guy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hummer4x4guy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:26 am

ok ill check when i get to that point to see if its reusable or not..the one i have isnt. Kurt where can ya find aviation permatex?
Joel
Joel
1987 2 door M998
2001 M1102

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 pm

Joel,

I have done several hmmwv tranny filters with new gaskets (from NAPA) and I do not use any sealant. No runs, no drips, no errors! Good luck and have fun at the Cruise this weekend.

Ted

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

replace trans gasket or not

Post by dilvoy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:07 pm

I would replace it. Why? They compress with age, that's why you need to snug them up after a few hours of operation. My system it this. Remove old pan and remove any remants of gasket from the pan and trans mating surface. I install the gaskets dry, but only after letting the trans drain and spraying off with brake cleaner, to have a clean and oil free mating for the pan,gasket and trans. After installing the filter and making shure that the pan mating surface is straight I do a final wipe of the mating surfaces with a brake clean soaked rag and install the pan. To not over tighten the pan I hold the ratchet with the ratchet mech in the palm of my hand and tighten as much as I can. This keeps me from overtightening the pan and just smasning the gasket and bending the pan. If you are good you can hold the ratchet where ever you want and feel for the crush of the gasket to just start to increase it's rate of resistance. I let the vehicle sit overnight and retighten the next day. It will usually have compressed by then. Then install the fluid and all is done. By the way, I hate transmission pan gaskets. Hasen't anyone made a pan with a rubber or neoprene seal seated into a groove yet? Cheap Bastards!
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:53 am

Kurt
The 3L80 Tranny does not use the re-useable gasket....Or at least all the older tranny's seem not to....the 4L80E on the HUMMER uses a re-useable gasket, Beleive me when I say they are re-useable, New ones cost 80.00 or more from GM. But they are not included in the GM tranny filter kit and they are in the 3L Series kits.

I use a film of Soft Permatex...I apply it to the outside edge of the gasket, I have at later dates done a new filter and I always inspect my previous work....I have never seen any Permatex in the pan area....that is why I put just a film of it to secure the gasket.

anyway, done numerous...no issues.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”