Engine swap...DONE

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

hummer4x4guy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Engine swap...DONE

Post by hummer4x4guy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:31 pm

For those of you who dont check out humvee.net to much... I have succesfully installed a 92 Hummer engine into my 87 m998. Seems it took about a week working 10+ hours per day..everyday straight till it was done. It was a bit more of a job vs when i had to change out the chassis... I have pictures of the project but they are on film and I didnt get around to developing it and im now back on the road for a month.. till the Detroit Woodward cruise happens... which I will be luckily taking my humvee to.
So for reference if anyone has questions about doing a swap feel free to ask me... but dont ask me ALL of whats involved...tho I can give a good general break down of what I did...
Joel
Joel
1987 2 door M998
2001 M1102

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

engine swap done

Post by dilvoy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:50 pm

I bet you really feel good now that it's done. Just today I was talking with Action today about driving a vehicle with a just installed engine. I like that first ride around the neighborhood with no hood installed. The smell of the cooking paint and gaskets is all part of the experience just as much as how well it runs before any final tuning is done.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

hummer4x4guy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hummer4x4guy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:13 am

Yeah I feel great... that being not sore ha ha
I did the first drive around in the field next to the house, gotta say the truck looks really weird w/o a hood on it... and I did have the smoke coming up from the exhaust parts... lil bits of oil or other stuff burning and smoking off...
I think next project will be a 4 speed it in....

Joel
Joel
1987 2 door M998
2001 M1102

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”