replacing axle seal?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

unclesamsurplus
Sergeant Major of the Gee

replacing axle seal?

Post by unclesamsurplus » Mon May 22, 2006 6:45 am

has anyone advice on replacing an axle seal? i noticed an oil leak yesterday all over the inside right front tire. the source appears to be coming from the square plate where the half shaft mounts into the hub. it just happened overnight and the gear oil is everywhere.

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

geared hub leaks

Post by Kurt Lesser » Mon May 22, 2006 7:48 am

The factory uses some type of gasket sealer or shellac rather than a gasket on the plates on the hubs. Sometimes a good shock can cause them to break free and begin to leak. Usually removing them, giving them a good cleaning and a little silicon sealer will cure the leak. Then again if you're going to pull the halfshaft then you might as well replace that seal too. And if you haven't already done so install the newer spindle nuts with the multi tab locks.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

replacing axle seal

Post by dilvoy » Mon May 22, 2006 10:18 am

If gear oil is all over the place it's sometimes hard to tell where the leak actually is from. Since you have fresh oil all over, at least you did not run out of oil and damage the gears and bearings. Is there still more oil in the leaky hub? You could clean things up and then go for a ride and check the area frequently to isolate the problem and be shure where the leak is before you do more work than necessary.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Mon May 22, 2006 11:02 am

Dil is right, get it clean then go for a short drive, if all the GO is not gone it will fling all around and make isolating the area tough. I for one paint my gubs flat black, this was oil leaks are easy to isolate quickly and easily if caught early. It is most likely the input seal for the half shaft, it is is the spindle seal the inside of the rim usually gets coated heavily in GO, You dont get that much GO from the Input seal cuz it is much higher up, also make sure your fill plug is snug and your drain plugs in snug...Snug not monkey tight,the Fill plug has a plastic seal and they break often.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

unclesamsurplus

Post by unclesamsurplus » Mon May 22, 2006 5:05 pm

i cleaned the area and it appears to be leaking from the half shaft seal. and advice there?

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

oil leaks

Post by Kurt Lesser » Mon May 22, 2006 6:18 pm

The best advice we can give you is to install some new seals and take a good look at the shaft where the seal rides to make sure it didn't get gouged out.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

unclesamsurplus

Post by unclesamsurplus » Mon May 22, 2006 8:46 pm

thanks...
you wouldn't happen to know the nsn for the front half shaft to hub seal? the reason i ask is i bought 3 pallets of auto parts last month from gov liq but haven't sorted it out yet. i noticed a few cases of oil filters, boxes of gates belts, air filters, fuel filters, gaskets, sensors, starters, alternators, generator armetures, compressors, hoses, 6 volt headlamps, etc. etc. everything is nos and clearly labeled with pn and nsn.
i dont want to pull the shaft until i have new seal in hand. i'll probably go to napa on tuesday and see if they have it.
thanks for the info.
dave

hummer4x4guy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hummer4x4guy » Tue May 23, 2006 3:59 pm

Dave
I dont know the nsn/part # off hand but its the same one used on the Hummer civi, check with your local dealer if you have one if not just call kascar up and order a FEW from them input and output..better to have em at ready when a seal fails then to wait for it to be shipped esp on weekends or trails... they are a very common seal..
www.real4wd.com
joel
Joel
1987 2 door M998
2001 M1102

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

replacing axle seal

Post by dilvoy » Tue May 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Get one from a dealer. New and fresh is better than an NOS thing that was laying around for years before It was surplussed, especially when it comes to seals. Seals are improved over the years sometimes when problems are found.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

unclesamsurplus

Post by unclesamsurplus » Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm

thanks for the info.
i tried to order the seals today from joe bullard cadilac hummer. they called me back and said these items were no longer available. i went ahead and ordered input and output seals from kascar and hopefully this will cure my leak.
how diffacult is it to remove the half shatfs and install the seals?

Angry Iron

Post by Angry Iron » Thu May 25, 2006 4:16 am

You may want to make sure the Halfshaft retaining bolt inside the hub is good. Make sure it has not come loose or snapped before just going for a seal. It could be causing your leak also.
Shawn Smith
'85 M998 Humvee
Angry Iron Off-road accessories
www.angryiron.com
www.thetruckweb.com
shawn@angryiron.com

kill
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

leak

Post by kill » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:35 pm

If it is indeed coming from the plate then take it off by removing th efour bolts make sure to inspect the spindle washer and nut inside the geared hub and simply dry it off and use A silicone, either RTV rightstuff or Blue silicon works excellent, put a nice layer over the edge on the plate and bolt back up, fill the geared hub, and there you go.
The M998 King

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”