Block Heaters

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

ReconHumvee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Block Heaters

Post by ReconHumvee » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:02 am

It is that time of year again and I would like to venture up into the Sierra's and not have the same problem as I did last year, thank you fellas for getting me out of that bind. Anyway, block heater's a good investment or not, I read someplace that using them frequently will put less wear and tear on the vehicle. Difficult to put in? I think a freeze plug needs to be knocked out, two block heater or one? Semper Fi

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

block heaters

Post by dilvoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:38 am

Block heaters, battery blankets and hotplates too. I'm going to be up in Cotati where I keep most of my vehicles all day Thrusday. I have to move some vehicles and some heavy stuff with my forklift before the rains start. I think you are not far away and if you can, pop on by and I'll show you my Crash Rescue truck, which has the Mother of all cold starting setups. It has battery blankets with hotplates under the batteries and a coolant heater with a circulation pump that is hooked into the heater hoses. This system should be able to bring a engine up to a reasonable temp in quick order.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

hmrbri

Post by hmrbri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:19 pm

jeff,
block heaters are easy to install. one is enough. if you want to make start-up a little easier on your engine, a magnetic oil pan warmer works well. battery blankets work great like geo said.
it drops to - 45 c here and i only have one block heater, and fuel additive and the old girl starts. synthetic oil also helps a great deal.
b
'85 M998 converted to M1026
"Back" at 'er!!!

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:22 pm

-45C! OMG..... :shock:

I'm glad I live Down Under, we complain when it gets to +8C

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

Angry Iron

Post by Angry Iron » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:30 pm

I found a company who sell a glue on oilpan heater pad I will be installing one on the Berserker as it will be spending its life In North Dakota and Colorado. There will also be battery plates and a block heater. The block heater is in and was not hard to install at all. I will give more info on the oil pan heater which I think is a better idea than the block heater. Heat rises and I would rather my oil be warm than my water. The company claims it will raise the block temp from -40 F to +100 F degrees in two hours.
Shawn Smith
'85 M998 Humvee
Angry Iron Off-road accessories
www.angryiron.com
www.thetruckweb.com
shawn@angryiron.com

hmrbri

Post by hmrbri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:59 pm

there is also a heater you install inline on a heater/rad hose that circulates/ heats the coolant. when you start up, there's instant heat!
bbbrrrrriii
'85 M998 converted to M1026
"Back" at 'er!!!

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

engine heaters

Post by Kurt Lesser » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:07 pm

Didn't I see a heater that went down the dipstick tube somewhere? I wonder if they're still available. The heaters that attach to the pan are probably the best option for trucks that don't go offroad or through deep snow.

Either one of the will help cut wear on the engine because more viscous oil will be getting into the block sooner and the hardest wear is during cold starting.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Action

heater

Post by Action » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:24 am

I bought one that went in the dipstick tube. It didn't even reach the oil. They didn't have a longer one.

Jason

Angry Iron

Post by Angry Iron » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

The pad heater I bought is super thin and is a sealed unit. I do not think off roading will effect it. We will see.
Shawn Smith
'85 M998 Humvee
Angry Iron Off-road accessories
www.angryiron.com
www.thetruckweb.com
shawn@angryiron.com

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:58 am

$30 and your set with a block heater. If you live anywhere where it gets below freezing you need to get one IMHO.... the straight up block heater is best as you don't need to lift the hood or anything... just be sure to route the cable near the hood opening / windhield.... Makes the truck sound like its starting in the summer again... plus you get heat much much sooner.

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:22 pm

I was with a guy on Weds that has an M1009 that has the swingfire system installed...now that is one over engineered piece of equipment.
It cane that way from DRMO.........
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

ReconHumvee
Post by ReconHumvee » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:09 pm

thanks for all the replys. I missed that opportunity to see your military vehicle collection in Cotati, my cell is 707-481-2261 if you come up again. I like the pad and block heater idea. I usually go up to the Sierra's acouple time a year except this year I have a ski pass for Heavenly and I love taking the Humvee for some snow treking. Last year I was stranded for 24 hours because the frigging thing would not start up. It turned over but it took a floor heater on the oil pan and starter fluid to get it to start. Scarry combo. I bought a dip stick heater when I was up there and it didn't even come close to the oil pan, turned my dip stick off color though. So it does produce heat and smells terrible. None the less I will be avoiding that ordeal this year and I heard that it is a good idea to warm the block anyway on cold days before starting it to avoid wear and tear. Thanks for all the advice.. Jeff

Marine Corp League Detachment 686
Military Vehicle Collectors of California

cptnblk
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Block Heaters

Post by cptnblk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 am

Any recommendations on Block Heater Placement?
Which frost plug should I pop? does it matter?

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Block Heaters

Post by Action » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 pm

cptnblk wrote:Any recommendations on Block Heater Placement?
Which frost plug should I pop? does it matter?
I thought this looked familiar....I read it 12 years ago! :shock:

The factory heater plug is on the left side right behind the motor mount. Get the GM part, then buy the matching cord.

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”