Hardtop Windshield Dog Ears Welding

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

tmoschella
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Hardtop Windshield Dog Ears Welding

Post by tmoschella » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:04 am

Well thought I would try getting two dog ears welded on to a window frame. I had no measurements just slide them into place and found the natural spot for them in each corner. I have a good friend Rob (Fellow Cigar Smoker) who is a professional welder help me out. Cleaned the CARC Paint off and cleaned the aluminum (very important for good welds). Fit them and tact them into place. I have not tested the placement by installing it on a truck. Got the ears from HPG for about $125 and the frame for $65

I was hoping some had some measurement from a factory install dog ears to measure them against what I have.

Also since this a non-hardtop windshield frame it does not have the gunners ring mounting holes. does anyone have close-up pictures and measurements of that area?
Attachments
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg (116.1 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg (127.11 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg (126.03 KiB) Viewed 578 times

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Hardtop Windshield Dog Ears Welding

Post by dilvoy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 pm

That's pretty good placement for eyeballing it. I made a quick measurement of one side of a windshield frame and the bracket is half an inch outboard of the flat portion that is the center of the windshield frame and one inch below the top of that same flat area. Your brackets may vary from what was welded to Humvee frames of certain eras so you just need to figure out the fitment with the gasket atop the windshield frame to see if you need to modify your upper isolators or oval out any holes. Oh, the bracket is fully welded completely around so if it is easy, you might have your welder add more weld to your brackets.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

tmoschella
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: Hardtop Windshield Dog Ears Welding

Post by tmoschella » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks for the comment, your information will help a lot!

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”