Glow Plug Controller Issue?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Tumbler510
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Glow Plug Controller Issue?

Post by Tumbler510 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 am

Hi All. Finally picked up my HMMWV in SLC, and drove it back to San Jose. It started right up in the lot (~70F) at the time, and drove half way through Nevada without incident. On the morning of day 2, it would not start. It was 20F overnight, and it was spewing white smoke from the exhaust, but wouldn't turn over. Starter fluid was the trick, and it didn't have any starting issues after that for the rest of the trip.
It's the same story in San Jose. If it's cold overnight, she won't start without liquid courage. If its nice and warm, she'll fire after 2-3 seconds.

I tested all the GPs, and they were all open. So I replaced them. The new ones were all perfectly within spec. It started well the first time, but then it was back to the same issue. I retested them and they read (ohms): Open, 275, Open, 6.3M, 3.6K, 2.9M, 7.6M, Open.

I am trying to avoid buying a new S3 ($600), and want to verify that the GP controller is working or not. Can someone direct me towards a how-to for GP controller troubleshooting?

Any other advice/ideas?

snock
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Glow Plug Controller Issue?

Post by snock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 am

The glow plug controller box is bad. Your plugs burnt out because the box did not shut the plugs off and the reason it started fine when you replaced the plugs is because they glowed until they burnt out. Who is the manufacturer of the controller and what color is it's label?
1989 M998
1964 M151 w/1967 M416
1986 M1009

ACVM998
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: Glow Plug Controller Issue?

Post by ACVM998 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:42 am

Hi, about the glow plug controller box here is what I did with mine when I had my humvee, I dissassenbly it and look at the circuits to find the relay function so I locate the two trigger wires for the relay and weld two wires on them, extend them to the dash and intall a push button there, never had an issue I just pust the button, count to ten and the humvee always start at the first attemp, on very cold days I count to 12
hope this hepls
best Regards

Alejandro

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”