Blinker and high beam question

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Blinker and high beam question

Post by Lazboytt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Hello,

I just purchased a 93 M998 and have a couple of issues. Hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

High beam indicator comes on with lights on no matter if its high beam or low beam the light is on on the dash.

2 nd issue is the right blinker. When I turn on the right blinker the front works fine but the rear both blink left and right. I also noticed when the right blinker is on and you step on the break the blinker light on the dash stops. Somehow it seems like the right blinker when turned on it’s tied into the break light possibly.
Left blinker works no issues.

Any ideas where to look 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Blinker and high beam question

Post by dilvoy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 pm

You have a classic Grounding problem. Clean all grounds. Every light has one, even the side markers have them. Think of the Humvee as a fiberglass boat, anything with a light has positive and negative wires. Clean them up and most likely your problems will go away. Also remove the instrument panel and clean up the ground on that as well as on the stud that is hidden just forward of it and the other side of it that is in the engine area.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

So I found out the problem with the blinker. It had nothing to do with the grounds but it was the blinker switch. I opened up the blinker switch and bent the metal prongs further away from the contacts and now all my blinkers work perfect.

The next step is to figure out highbeam low beam indicator. I’m wondering if the foot switch could by chance still be making contact enough to keep the highbeam low beam indicator light

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm

So I figured out the problem with the headlights. The wiring in the engine compartment on the lights was correct however when you pull the headlight bulbs out they had the wires plugged into the wrong spots. There is no markings on the headlight bulbs as to which connects to what so I just tried to look inside the lightbulb and could see which side was the ground connection and move the wires accordingly and now everything works perfectly.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”