Windshield laminate glass edge sealer

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

formula223
G-Civilian
Windshield laminate glass edge sealer

Post by formula223 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm replacing the windshield glass in my M998. I have new OEM laminated glass. I've been reading about fogging and delamination and have been looking for a sealer that will prevent moisture from migrating between the laminate panels. The original glass has a black semi-soft material coating the edge of the glass inside the rubber seal.

I've searched the internet and read countless articles pertaining to the need to keep moisture away from the edge of the laminate but as yet have found no sealer advertised for this purpose. What I have found is that silicone and many other sealers will attack the plastic between the glass panes and cause delamination and discoloration and simply installing the glass without sealing the edge will lead to fogging. I've asked several classic car glass shops and have gotten no answer.

Does anyone know what AMG used or any other product that can be safely used to seal the edge?

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Windshield laminate glass edge sealer

Post by dilvoy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:34 pm

The glass on the x doors has a clear sticky tape applied around the edges. Maybe you can do the same for the front glass.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”