Advice on mounting the 'Augi' box

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Advice on mounting the 'Augi' box

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am

I am still working on the radio shelves and the assorted accessories that I want to mount and have no good idea as to how to mount this cell phone box. Any suggestions will be given due consideration.
Attachments
camers1 001.jpg
camers1 001.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Advice on mounting the 'Augi' box

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 am

I used Velcro
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 am

Hard to express concepts without drawings, but if you took a piece of aluminum Angle Iron, or aluminum plate which could be folded 90 degrees, then cut a hole the size of the J cable mount, drill two holes in the bottom fold of the plate or angle to mount the plate, then hold the box up and connect the J cable through the back of the flange. the box will cover the mounting bolts and the cable will hold the box in the flange. Velcro works too...but the cable weight may pull it loose.
I suppose your J cable length will determine where you can place it as well.
Paint the bracket, bolts and the housing separately the color of your setup (CARC Green or TAN)

Last, if you don't want to go drilling more holes in your vehicle, make the angle plate a little longer, drill the mounting hole outside of where the box would fit and slip that under a mounting bolt for the radio tray or against the radio mount bolt, dash bolt, etc.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Velcro has been considered, but I have been a little hesitant to do that because of the tension that I think the cable will create. The Velcro that I have been trying to get off the body panels would work I bet, but where might I find that 'industrial strength' Velcro. Regular hardware stuff has not been very appealing.

Making a drawing for mounting it with an aluminum bracket is an easy thing for me to do as well as fabricate one, but I was concerned that if I put an aluminum plate under the nut, would there be enough left to tighten the fitting.

I think I will look for the stronger Velcro. Any suggestions guys??

Thanks1

jake-cutter
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by jake-cutter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Velcro or commercial 3M double sided tape. Both commercial/industrial version can be bought on Amazon. I mocked mine up and will be going with Velcro once I am done.
HMMWV. Always looking for an APC.

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by JuanPrado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 pm

I have not done so yet but if I remember correctly when you take the lid off there are 4 internal holes for screws to mount the box. My plan was to mount it under the top radio shelf towards the back so it does not interfere with anything with 4 machine screws and counter sink the shelf.

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks Juan. I did not consider taking the box apart. That would be a great idea for me as I have a little more room under the upper shelf.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”