Changing windshields and need help re-wiring

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Changing windshields and need help re-wiring

Post by RockHillWill » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I have taken off the 'folding' windshield from the M998 troop carrier and am getting ready to install the 'correct' windshield for the M1026. I basically understand about the three contacts, but the 'new' windshield has three wires, but only two have any 'connectors' on them. I have spent some time trying to track down a wiring schematic, to no avail, but I need to figure out what wires in the windshield go to what wires under the rubber pad with the three 'contacts', and what is the correct way to attach them to each other. Please recall that I am electronically 'challenged.'

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Changing windshields and need help re-wiring

Post by Action » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I have seen the wires get put on in different positions. You just need to make sure the the matching wire tag numbers are in the same locations to hit each other. You can pop the one out of the body to see the numbers. If the rubber is not soft, this is a good time to replace them.
You need three wires on both if you want wipers and washer fluid spray.

Jason

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 am

did not realize that the wires were 'tagged'. That will be a great help. Thanks!

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:45 am

When I was doing my hardtop conversion several years ago, I did away with the 2 rubber contact pads and spliced in a 3 wire connector to make a more positive connection. With the hardtop in place the windshield will never be folded down anyway.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks, Larry, that sounds like a good idea. I have identified the numbers at both ends of the 'new' windshield wires and checked for continuity. I am now having a hard time 'prying' out the lower rubber insulator. I suspect that they will have numbers matching the 'new' windshield upper wires?

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 pm

You will probably have to cut the rubber around the edges to get it out, because it has gotten hard.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks, guys. I have gotten the rubber insert out and found the numbers on the ends of all wires. Actually, it is all making sense now, but need to get a connection plan. One of the female ends on one of the windshield wires is all that would be needed. Will be considering the three wire connector as well. Have stopped work for 2-3 days until more parts show up on other work around the truck. Thanks again for all the help.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”