license plate mounting

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

license plate mounting

Post by RockHillWill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm

It took 9 weeks to finally get my first Humvee and got the tag and title on my first visit to DMV this afternoon.

How / where is an appropriate position to mount the tag on a Humvee? What is recommended for use as a tag light?

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: license plate mounting

Post by Ted Gates » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 am

hmmwv's never had license plate holders or location. It would be up to you for location since you know where you will have a free space to place. H1 trucks were on the driver side air lift bumper. For a light, splice into running lights with an LED plate light. On epay, there is a company selling a kit for this. I do not know them or rep them...just saying that if you look at what they are doing you might get an idea for your own.

Lionel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 am

I got a nice kit from Those Military Guys. I used existing holes under the left rear wheelhouse for mounting and the harness is plug-N-play to the rear tail light harness. Not a rep or otherwise related, just an easy product to install.
1994 HMMWV M998A1
1995 HMMWV M1025A2 GMV
2002 HMMWV M1024A2 GMV
2001 HMMWV M1043A2
2001 HMMWV M1123
2000 JD M-Gator
2001 Kawasaki M1030B1 (650)
2000 Kawasaki M1030M1

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 am

Although i can't speak for Those Military Guys for their License Plate Light kit ($35) http://www.thosemilitaryguys.com/lighte ... te-kit-v2/

I know they make a darn fine magnetic cup holder for $25, and it was at my house in two days, great Christmas present to myself last year! too bad they are sold out right now.
They seem to be a great addition to the hobby.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am

If i am not mistaken , the license plate light should shine on the plate not straight back.And, where are you going to put the msg etic cup holder? The humvee is aluminum.

Jason

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by JuanPrado » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 am

cup holder is actually a harbor freight item repainted from Red to Black :-) It is used for the sides of toolboxes and much more affordable.....

Use the 20% off coupon and always have a freebie coupon with purchase- Flashlight, screwdrivers, tarp etc.

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks guys, I can use that info. Today I measured the airlift bumper and believe I will draw up a plate mount using the same holes as the mudflaps, and holding the plate just above the top of the A/L bumper.

DatGuyC
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by DatGuyC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 am

In MD we need both front and rear tags. I used some magnetic license plate holders to attach the front tag to the front cross brace with the holes in it and the rear tag is on my airlift bumper. For a rear light I just wired in an LED tag bracket mount with a resistor into the running lights power wire. Since they are magnetic I can just pull them off if I ever go off-roading and don't have to worry about loosing a tag or something.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”