windshield frame alignment

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

windshield frame alignment

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am

Is there a technique or guidance for aligning the windshield frame? My soft top frame had shims. Not sure if I really need them on my hard top windshield frame or not. Is there a specific angle the frame needs to sit at?

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: windshield frame alignment

Post by Action » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

You can loosen the hinge bolts and push the top in and out to line up with the hole in side handrail. The handrails will bend slightly to go in and away from mounting points. If your rails are straight and they are way off, you may have a bent b-pillar or c-pillar.

Jason

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ohiohmmwv » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:33 pm

handrails? Sorry, I’m referring to the hard top version of the windshield frame going on. Or is that what you meant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:47 pm

My bad. You can still use the shims but there are no hinges on the inside. Just the flat pieces with 6 holes. I would leave all bolts loose then fit the roof to it. Then tighten lower bolts and put shims in if needed.

Jason

smcki087
G-Private
G-Private

Post by smcki087 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 pm

I recently installed a hard top windshield frame. I started with the new bottom seals upper ,lower, sides. I set the windshield on and noticed the new weatherstrips were taller. I used 2 come along straps to pull it down LT and right side. I purchased the LT and RT side straight brackets with 6 holes for the inside LT & RT mounts. I noticed the windshield was not as straight up as I liked. I then fitted my front doors and noticed the upper edge hit the windshield frame. I then used the shims to space the windshield forward to the hood. I used about 3 shims each side until the front doors would close. After that I installed the outer 3 windshield brackets. The outer brackets fit easy, the center bolts would not line up. I used a strap again from the center inside windshield hole for the wiper motor to the loop hook by the drivers seat. Pulled the center windshield down untill the outer center bracket lined up. Everything looked great until I tried to bolt up the front turret support arms. RT side lined up with a shim, LT side was tight too far to the left. I used the ratchet strap again after I bolted the RT side front turret support to pull and align the left mount. This was the first part I replaced on my build and it taught me that HMMWV's are built with very large tollerances, large uneven gaps and lots of shims.... :D

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:25 am

smcki087 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 pm
I recently installed a hard top windshield frame. I started with the new bottom seals upper ,lower, sides. I set the windshield on and noticed the new weatherstrips were taller. I used 2 come along straps to pull it down LT and right side. I purchased the LT and RT side straight brackets with 6 holes for the inside LT & RT mounts. I noticed the windshield was not as straight up as I liked. I then fitted my front doors and noticed the upper edge hit the windshield frame. I then used the shims to space the windshield forward to the hood. I used about 3 shims each side until the front doors would close. After that I installed the outer 3 windshield brackets. The outer brackets fit easy, the center bolts would not line up. I used a strap again from the center inside windshield hole for the wiper motor to the loop hook by the drivers seat. Pulled the center windshield down untill the outer center bracket lined up. Everything looked great until I tried to bolt up the front turret support arms. RT side lined up with a shim, LT side was tight too far to the left. I used the ratchet strap again after I bolted the RT side front turret support to pull and align the left mount. This was the first part I replaced on my build and it taught me that HMMWV's are built with very large tollerances, large uneven gaps and lots of shims.... :D
How many seals did you put between the w/s frame and body? Isn't it just one long piece and the 2 side pieces? You said upper, lower, and sides?

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:38 am

I use X doors for aligning the windshield frame. I adjust the door so it fits into the body tub as well as possible, which is lining up the lower part of the door with the sill area and then making the best compromise with the front and rear door jam areas. I then add a washer or two to lift the door up if needed so the seal on the lower part of the door is well clear of the outer rocker panel skin so it doesn't catch and get squeezed out of shape. There is usually plenty of extra room at the top of the door if you are installing a hard top. Soft tops are different because of the bagginess of the vinyl. For the windshield frame, I usually try for about 3/16" gap between it and the top front corner of the door. This keeps enough gap so that corner of the door is not smashed every time the door is closed. You must go to the flat plate brackets at the rear of the windshield or the ones that are bent on the sides and not use the original quick release brackets. The angle is all wrong with those and you end up constantly knocking your hinges out of adjustment because of the contact at the top front of the door. I have found that shimming does not work as the amount needed makes the holes for the bolts not workable. I don't use the foam strips for sealing the air and water from between the body and windshield frame on hard top models. I just put in a bead of brown or tan paintable caulking along the rear and sides and paint after it is dry. I leave the front area open so there is no way for water to be trapped.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

smcki087
G-Private
G-Private

Post by smcki087 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 am

There was one long foam seal on the upper part of the cowl in front of the defrost vents. The other long foam piece goes down below that on the lower cowl. 2 little foam pieces for the Left and RT sides. I liked the advice Dilvoy has posted. Caulking would be better leaving the lower front opened to drain, I noticed , dirt, mud and water pooling behind that lower front seal by the hood with no where to go. I had to scrub and pressure wash, stuff had been stuck there a long time....

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”