New owner in Germany with an air filter question

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

AAVP7
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

New owner in Germany with an air filter question

Post by AAVP7 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Hello everybody,
I´m Arnd from Dortmund, Germany. I recently aquired a nice-looking 1985 USMC M998 in four-door soft-top configuration. Have been dreaming about this for decades now, as I grew up in the 80s when there were Humvees cruising our Autobahns all the time. (A pretty rare sight now, with most US forces moved either to eastern Europe or into the sandbox).
DSC_6475m3.jpg
DSC_6475m3.jpg (208.86 KiB) Viewed 382 times
The Humvee has been demilitarized by removing the intake tube and the long exhaust of the DWF system. I´m going to add both again, as I want to stay USMC. The "Army" stencil on the doors is an obvious blunder of the seller; the former USMC markings are still visible under the "sales-paintjob". However, I added an airlift rear bumper, which is not USMC-correct for an A0 vehicle, but that is my personal compromise because of our national hobby of tailgateing. If some smombie mom rearends my Humvee, I don´t want to see any damage to the aluminium body....

I have one question to start with: When I opened my air filter box, a ring of sheet metal dropped out together with the filter :
DSC_7108m2.jpg
DSC_7108m2.jpg (118.55 KiB) Viewed 382 times
The -24 parts manual doesn´t show this ring as a seperate part, so it has to be a component of the filter box itself. The ring looks like it was glued into place somewhere. I think it fits only as an elongation of the fixed tube that basically holds the outward part of the filter, but I wanted to check with you guys first, before I create havoc with the aerodynamics inside the filter box.

Thanks in advance !

Arnd
Arnd

M997 Maxi Ambulance
M1045 Slantback
M1101 Trailer

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: New owner in Germany with an air filter question

Post by Ted Gates » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Nice hmmwv. Is the filter a standard military one or did someone use shorter filter and make the ring to fit it? I'm not near my trucks so I can't take any pictures of the inside.

AAVP7
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: New owner in Germany with an air filter question

Post by AAVP7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:10 am

It´s a standard military filter and filter box. It´s not well visible in my second photo, but it´s just a hollow ring of aluminium sheet metal, very slightly formed out at one end to form a bit of a funnel.

I think I found the answer myself.

A fellow owner just posted a picture of the filter box interior in the german HMMWV forum. Seems the ring belongs onto the "end bottom" at the far end of the filter box, towards the engine. I just went out to my Humvee and checked. My loose ring almost fits there, but seems to be a tad too big. But maybe that´s the reason why it got loose in the first place. The ring seems to be just cemented in originally.

I´ll see that I fix the ring tonight, or tomorrow. Thanks for your help !
Arnd

M997 Maxi Ambulance
M1045 Slantback
M1101 Trailer

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”