Engine Temps

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Engine Temps

Post by Action » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I just came across this in the 387-10 tabulated data section.

normal operating coolant temperature ......185 - 250 F (85 - 120 C)

Jason

JuanPrado
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: Engine Temps

Post by JuanPrado » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Wow! I would not have expected to see the 250 sustained.

SinDiesel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by SinDiesel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:26 pm

The Hydro-engaged cooling fans don't even kick on until 230F. That's higher than I personally prefer. Other motors that I have built, I usually use 180F thermostats and use electric fans set to kick on at 195F and have been quite pleased with performance and reliability. Granted those were gas engines with compression ratios compatible with regular (non-premium) octane ratings and diesels by design run at about double the compression ratios and thus higher temperatures. Personally I like engines to operate within safe temperatures of their weekest coolant component (I.e. Water, 212F) and also not to have high or elevated radiator/cooling system caps and risk over pressuring any hoses, seals, or gaskets in the blocks cooling passages.

eisenhe
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by eisenhe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:52 am

SinDiesel wrote:The Hydro-engaged cooling fans don't even kick on until 230F. That's higher than I personally prefer. Other motors that I have built, I usually use 180F thermostats and use electric fans set to kick on at 195F and have been quite pleased with performance and reliability. Granted those were gas engines with compression ratios compatible with regular (non-premium) octane ratings and diesels by design run at about double the compression ratios and thus higher temperatures. Personally I like engines to operate within safe temperatures of their weekest coolant component (I.e. Water, 212F) and also not to have high or elevated radiator/cooling system caps and risk over pressuring any hoses, seals, or gaskets in the blocks cooling passages.
I agree! However, if the bullets are flying, I want it to run until it can't run anymore...
1986 HMMWV M998A0 sn20423 working on 6.2 install

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”