Ibis Tek Lightbar brackets are not off-road worthy

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

actionpaintball
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Ibis Tek Lightbar brackets are not off-road worthy

Post by actionpaintball » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:39 am

icentropy wrote:
actionpaintball wrote:Standard rule of thumb [very generic] is that steel is 3X heavier, and 3X stronger (tensile) over aluminum.
The rule of thumb i've always used is aluminum is you have to use 50% more aluminum to come up with the same amount of strength. And by using aluminum instead of steel you'll end up saving around 1/3 of the weight because of the added thickness. This is in comparison will low carbon mild steel.

If you bump up the aluminum to a reasonable quality such as 6061 and temper (or buy tempered) to T6 the ratio gets better. 7050 or 7075 to the T7 temper is basically just as strong as mild steel so you are saving the full weight amount, but you can't really bend or weld T7 material without loosing a large amount of the strength. The correct way to make things out of aluminum is the way AMG made our bodies and rail guards. It's all made out of 6061-0 temper, bent, welded, etc. THEN heat treated to T6 so the whole structure is quite strong.

The aluminum on the light bar and the brackets was plenty "strong" to hold up the bar. Its the side-to-side motion that fatiqued the aluminum to the point of failure. Stop the side to side motion one way or another and the problem will go away. IMO, the easiest way to do that if you still had the whole setup and hadn't mounted it, would probably be just to make some 45° angle brackets (stiffeners) on the corners, that or just make brackets so thick that they keep the assembly ridgid enough to not move. That's not really the correct way to do is as you're basically just overcoming a bad design with excessive use of material but heck that's what i'm gonna do mostly due to lazyness :D.
:D :D :D I see way too much shock and cyclic stress analysis everyday...wanted to keep it simple :mrgreen: You would have thought they would at least have done some field testing.

Readyman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Readyman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:20 pm

How about floating the whole thing on rubber grommets between the uprights and the pillars?
But that won't get rid of the horizontal stress crack above the top pillar bolt, will it?
1985 M1036 TOW Missile Carrier
1998 Gatesville, TX IROAN rebuild

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by siberian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:30 pm

icentropy wrote:
actionpaintball wrote:Standard rule of thumb [very generic] is that steel is 3X heavier, and 3X stronger (tensile) over aluminum.
That's not really the correct way to do is as you're basically just overcoming a bad design with excessive use of material but heck that's what i'm gonna do mostly due to lazyness :D.
Is this excessive enough? :D

85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

Readyman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Readyman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:00 pm

OH YEAH...
siberian wrote:
icentropy wrote:
That's not really the correct way to do is as you're basically just overcoming a bad design with excessive use of material but heck that's what i'm gonna do mostly due to lazyness :D.
Is this excessive enough? :D

1985 M1036 TOW Missile Carrier
1998 Gatesville, TX IROAN rebuild

jake-cutter
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by jake-cutter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Bumping this back up as my light bar comes in tomorrow. Did anyone find the best solution for the brackets? Should I make some new ones out of steel?

Also, has anyone ever found the rear light bar that goes with this?
HMMWV. Always looking for an APC.

DatGuyC
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by DatGuyC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm

I had copies of the aluminum brackets made from 1/4 steel, been fine for a couple months now.

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 pm

I sold many of these 78" lights and I made steel brackets for them. I have a few bracket sets remaining. $100 a set plus ups shipping.
The rear halogen is hard to find

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:18 pm

I remade them out of 1/2" aluminum honeycomb. Very light weight, no issues with dissimilar metals and very strong. I can fab up some if anyone wants any.
Attachments
bracket installed.jpg
bracket installed.jpg (134.45 KiB) Viewed 417 times
honeycomb brackets.jpg
honeycomb brackets.jpg (109.54 KiB) Viewed 417 times
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”