Finally off to the paint shop!

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Finally off to the paint shop!

Post by siberian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 pm

After several months of replacing bent, broken, missing or rusty parts, we are finally on our way to the paint shop. Thanks to lkgindy and TGates for the parts. You guys are great. Mr. Gates, the half doors are going too, I'll swap them out after collecting the mounting hardware. We are using Clark International Logistics in WV for the refurb.....I'll post some after shots in a few weeks. Finally....

85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

fsutterbadass
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Finally off to the paint shop!

Post by fsutterbadass » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 pm

very cool...what color?

Freddie

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by siberian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm having it painted a little variation on the military pattern woodland colors. ...something similar to this:
85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:00 pm

The OD and Tan will give your Humvee a '70's look.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

fsutterbadass
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by fsutterbadass » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Disco!

F Bill
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: no longer on the road, USA formerly Central TX based. Now NY Capital District

Post by F Bill » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Never would have guessed a UHAUL car carrier would carry that! :shock: 8) Looks great!
F Bill-no longer chasing oversize loads out west, I'm in NY now.
Certified jeep Addict in recovery

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by siberian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:21 pm

yeah, I'll have to see if I still have that big gold chain to wear around my neck when i'm out driving my "disco convertible." :)
Dilvoy, I have forgotten to thank that ubermutant1 guy for my great deal on the Rhino that will be on the back after the paint; if you see him, would you tell him I appreciate it!
85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by siberian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:30 pm

F Bill wrote:Never would have guessed a UHAUL car carrier would carry that! :shock: 8) Looks great!
Actually, it pulled like a champ. But we were one big pothole away from a disaster (and we pulled it 360 miles :shock: )

85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:18 pm

siberian wrote:yeah, I'll have to see if I still have that big gold chain to wear around my neck when i'm out driving my "disco convertible." :)
Dilvoy, I have forgotten to thank that ubermutant1 guy for my great deal on the Rhino that will be on the back after the paint; if you see him, would you tell him I appreciate it!

Yeah, he thanks you as well and likes how you dare to be different in your camo color selection. :D
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

libbster29
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by libbster29 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 am

was this one of clarks truck parts humves??? just wondering.... they had a few sitting around

fsutterbadass
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by fsutterbadass » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:59 am

i'm totally stoked to see this paint scheme. i have one thing to offer, and i am not being critical...just thought i'd tell you before you get it shot.....the retainer brackets (on the body) for the cargo cover extension are upside down....if you plan on running a cover over the bed, you'll have a hell of a time stretching the cover that far down to lap over those in that position....and...if they paint them like that, when you do flip them rightside up, there will be marks in your camo....just offering some friendly pre-paint advice. otherwise, i am very excited about your rig.

thanks,
freddie

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:14 am

Good catch Freddie! That would have been a big bummer.

I like the camo scheme you are going to do.

Ubermutant is awesome...wherever/whoever he is! :D
Last edited by Ted Gates on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

fsutterbadass
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by fsutterbadass » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:46 am

just trying to be a good neighbor, Teddy....

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by siberian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:48 am

fsutterbadass wrote:i'm totally stoked to see this paint scheme. i have one thing to offer, and i am not being critical...just thought i'd tell you before you get it shot.....the retainer brackets (on the body) for the cargo cover extension are upside down....if you plan on running a cover over the bed, you'll have a hell of a time stretching the cover that far down to lap over those in that position....and...if they paint them like that, when you do flip them rightside up, there will be marks in your camo....just offering some friendly pre-paint advice. otherwise, i am very excited about your rig.

thanks,
freddie
Good catch Freddie! Clark is going to replace the top skin on that fender as it looks like someone in the past romoved the troop seats by pulling the bolts through the metal. I took the brackets loose to take the rivets out of the old skin, plus the mounting screws were rusty. Removing rivets got old really quit so I'll let them pull the skin. Thanks for the support, I'm looking forward to the finished product too; I've got troop seats, a rhino spare carrier and a luverne brush guard to finish it off.

The truck was initially titled in New Hampshire, but I bought it from a guy in Florida. The last activity I could find on the truck by the USMC was this upgrade marking on the hood: Level A1 10 00 PMS.
85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

siberian
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by siberian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:08 am

Slight update. It appears that progress is being made, just not as quick as expected; which is actually a blessing as it has given me time to clear the garage of the years of bags and boxes of crap, I mean my wife's "stuff" that is/was going to the yard sale or consignment shop. I'm tired. Now if I can just talk Ted Gates into letting me mount one of his Ibis Tek light bars on my truck as a rolling advertisment for his Humvee business....yeah, that's the ticket.

85 M998A1
98 H1 Wagon

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”