The Ole White smoke on startup Thread

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

The Ole White smoke on startup Thread

Post by Retired War Horses » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:33 am

Hey Fellas
Not to beat a dead horse but, I have been having a white smoke "haze" on startup that last for about as long as the Glowplugs cylce after startup.
Once engine is to temp no issues. I changed the glow plugs and no change. It does not billow, but it is unburnt fuel, IMHO it is not water and the overflow tank has the same level that its had for years.

The only thing different is the Injector pump I put in a few months back, it was a 4524, New I beleive. Truck run fine though, starts right up...blah blah blah.....I guess I may need to check all 8 connectors for 24v....
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Is it smokeing all the time or just for a few minutes after start up?
I break it, I fix it!

http://youtube.com/user/STUDENTDRIVER123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Playmate of the month April 2011 (HUMMER CAL.)

hummer4x4guy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hummer4x4guy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Have ya changed your injectors? My truck would ALWAYS smoke like a lil wood chimney while idleing. I put in a new set of reman injectors new GP and a new IP (tho not at the same time) but after all those were changed it smokes a lil at start up as it should I believe and after a min or two it clears right up..
Joel
Joel
1987 2 door M998
2001 M1102

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:44 am

It sounds to me like you do need to check for glow plug function on all 8. If the haze stops that quick at the end of the glow cycle it just sounds to me like a little unburnt fuel because of 1 or more cold cylinders. As soon as the engine runs a minute there is enough heat even with a dead glow plug to start burning all the fuel.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 am

Unburned fuel is not usually considered a generator of white smoke ...being cold has always been known as a contributor to white smoke until warmup.....but and this might help....
If one or more glow plugs have burned out, are heavily coated with carbon or are not receiving their usual dose of start-up voltage, the engine will become progressively harder to start as temperatures drop, and will idle roughly and produce white smoke in the exhaust for several minutes once it finally starts. If all the glow plugs are burned on the end, you'd better check the injection timing because it is probably overadvanced.

From http://www.aa1car.com/library/diesel.htm also note their comments on oil viscosity.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

GenBiltstein
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by GenBiltstein » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:19 pm

Check the timing advance lead for power going into the timing advance solenoid at the top of the Injector Pump. Its the rear lead.

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 am

I checked that intially, as well as checked for the voltage and the click of the advance solenoid....
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

kauaidragon
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by kauaidragon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Check you return fuel lines on the injectors one might be loose.

actionpaintball
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by actionpaintball » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:52 am

I would also add to change your fuel filter and double check for the already mentioned restricted return line and check EVERY individual glow plug. If you do not have an auxiliary ground strap on the block and controller-add one. You can also mess with your fuel pressure a a little via the small screw near the throttle linkage.

If its just occurring during start up/warm and cannot be found easily...i would personally try to forget about it.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”